Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

For hide n' seek events, I would suggest giving at least some sort of hint at the beginning, rather than just "I'm ready to be found, find me". Cause, I definitely didn't have as much fun in the one yesterday than I have had in previous Hide n' seek events were increasingly larger pictures were shown, or riddles were given.

Just so you know, all event threads and their brackets are listed in the Hall of Fame.

I'm sure he means it would be better if the bracket was in the thread or the OP before the tournament took place for player convenience as for that particular tournament , we did not get the bracket link till about 40 minutes past the tournament star, till when all the reserves were added , as with usual tournaments the host puts up the bracket link (to a demo bracket) but the link remains the same so its pretty convenient for the players.

I'm sure he means it would be better if the bracket was in the thread or the OP before the tournament took place for player convenience as for that particular tournament , we did not get the bracket link till about 40 minutes past the tournament star, till when all the reserves were added , as with usual tournaments the host puts up the bracket link (to a demo bracket) but the link remains the same so its pretty convenient for the players.

I understand, I was just pointing out that you can find them all in one place there. With regards to the bracket not being linked until after it was completed with reserves, I don't see why you need the link before the bracket has been completed and shuffled anyway. That being said, I am sure Xela just forgot to add the bracket to his thread when he closed it. It was pretty late last night when the tournament ended, I'm sure he will see this and add it for you all. The bracket is usually linked in all event threads (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I've taken a liking to keep the bracket to myself until it's completely final.

People always open it a shuffle too early and sometimes even a ref might call a wrong match. Also, there are always at least five people asking if it's finished shuffling, if it's final, it I can shuffle it one more time.

I'd be willing to add the bracket to my thread as soon as the tournament starts. But really, who needs a demo bracket. Don't really need the url days beforehand just to refresh through erronous info.

For hide n' seek events, I would suggest giving at least some sort of hint at the beginning, rather than just "I'm ready to be found, find me". Cause, I definitely didn't have as much fun in the one yesterday than I have had in previous Hide n' seek events were increasingly larger pictures were shown, or riddles were given.

Sorry I haven't replied to you yet Gilan, I have only just seen this post (I must have missed it). With regards to the Hide & Seek event, I recently buffed the prize from 100rp per round to 250rp per round, this meant reducing the rounds from 10 to 6. 

From the Hide & Seek events I've seen/hosted previous to this one hints were not given out (with the exception of the Halloween special in October). This is something I wanted to continue, especially with the prize being higher as I feel this means it should increase in difficulty too. Taking on board your feedback, I think that a possibility would be to come up with a riddle that gives a clue to where I am hiding in game. The riddle could be linked at the start of the round and also adds another fun element to the event. Would this be something that you are interested in for any future Hide & Seek events?

Sorry I haven't replied to you yet Gilan, I have only just seen this post (I must have missed it). With regards to the Hide & Seek event, I recently buffed the prize from 100rp per round to 250rp per round, this meant reducing the rounds from 10 to 6. 

From the Hide & Seek events I've seen/hosted previous to this one hints were not given out (with the exception of the Halloween special in October). This is something I wanted to continue, especially with the prize being higher as I feel this means it should increase in difficulty too. Taking on board your feedback, I think that a possibility would be to come up with a riddle that gives a clue to where I am hiding in game. The riddle could be linked at the start of the round and also adds another fun element to the event. Would this be something that you are interested in for any future Hide & Seek events?

would make it more interesting and a little more though process oriented than just being in the right place , if possible it should be done.

Yes, that would be best, in my opinion. As it currently stands, winning by being at the right place at the right time, or stumbling across the hider, seems very similar to winning via RNG to me, and that irritates me. That's why I think a riddle that points the seekers in the right direction would help benefit the game.

That being said, I think that the riddles should be difficult to solve, and perhaps not point to a specific location, but narrow down your choices; Like the "sand hint" in the last event. That way, difficulty is still maintained.

A random Team Tournament would be funny...Players sign up, then they get paired with 2 other players and form a team ( 48 players needed for 16 teams ). Standard team tournament rules ( OU/UU/NU-Doubles and bla bla bla ). The only problems i can think of are the high ammount of players needed, and the prize. This isn't something that will take place instead of the usual team tourney, it'll be more like a gimmicky event, so it would be quite sad if it had better prize than the standard team tourney. This point could be avoided by having the 3 winners battle each other at the end and have a first, second and third prize ( First could be a low-middle tier shiny, second 500 RP, third 250 RP ), but even this has its issues with a 1:1 win/loss ratio tie for all the 3 players and what tier to play the battles

A random Team Tournament would be funny...Players sign up, then they get paired with 2 other players and form a team ( 48 players needed for 16 teams ). Standard team tournament rules ( OU/UU/NU-Doubles and bla bla bla ). The only problems i can think of are the high ammount of players needed, and the prize. This isn't something that will take place instead of the usual team tourney, it'll be more like a gimmicky event, so it would be quite sad if it had better prize than the standard team tourney. This point could be avoided by having the 3 winners battle each other at the end and have a first, second and third prize ( First could be a low-middle tier shiny, second 500 RP, third 250 RP ), but even this has its issues with a 1:1 win/loss ratio tie for all the 3 players and what tier to play the battles

The problem is that if a certain team gets a lucky pairing of top-tier players, the tournament will most likely be a stomp. There would need to be a way to ensure each team has equal opportunities, and that the entire tournament isn't reliant on luck from the very start.

Don't think it'll be that big of a problem, the team will be composed by 3 players and they will play in 3 different tier, there are lots of good players around, and the odds of a team made of 3 top tier player for every tier aren't that high. Yeah, some teams will have pretty much no chance against some others, but that happens also in the standard team tourney.. If we wanna look for eventual problems with the players it could happen that a team will formed by 3 players that play all in the same tier 

I've taken a liking to keep the bracket to myself until it's completely final.

People always open it a shuffle too early and sometimes even a ref might call a wrong match. Also, there are always at least five people asking if it's finished shuffling, if it's final, it I can shuffle it one more time.

I'd be willing to add the bracket to my thread as soon as the tournament starts. But really, who needs a demo bracket. Don't really need the url days beforehand just to refresh through erronous info.

the problem with this is : you can just make up the bracket as you want it to be and say it was shuffled when in reality you gave the easyest route possible to your 3rd cousin on your dog's side of the familly...

Londar's random team tournament idea is exciting and sounds good

TiersPlayable

and then they'd be randomly pooled into teams of 3, a small sample size tournament could work of maybe 8 teams so 24 people would be required.

Londar's random team tournament idea is exciting and sounds good

TiersPlayable

and then they'd be randomly pooled into teams of 3, a small sample size tournament could work of maybe 8 teams so 24 people would be required.

but why give a shiny for this silly tournament when they don't give shinies for the real deal? i doubt people would join for only 500rp...

but why give a shiny for this silly tournament when they don't give shinies for the real deal? i doubt people would join for only 500rp...

Im sure the first prize could a cheap shiny for each player, a caterpie or such woudnt be that bad

It was perhaps already suggested, but I make this suggestion:

Catchmmo official every month, different tier for each month (OU, UU, NU, simple/double battle)

the problem i see with this idea is its gonna become redondant, less and less players will bother to get a team for each month. Maybee once every 6 months wouldnt be a bad idea for those who like it.