Communication or no communication vote

Should the player base be told about event delays in advance?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Tell player base relevant info about major events before they happen?

• Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

It took them 10 years to build this project to where it is today, there will never be any competitor who makes a game as polished as this one. This gives them the ability to run their game in whatever way they'd like, whether you or I agree with how it's run.

You can criticize them for how they run their game but don't pretend like they're hurting themselves or the future of the game. The game is not going to collapse because the forum dwellers, who make up a very small % of the total playerbase, are upset again.

Nothing better than losing hours of progress because their servers crash & have rollbacks every week, Kyu is trembling at their polished, well-made product. 

You know... Block buster thought the same about Netflix...

Mike Tyson was the champ until buster Douglas... 

And Internet explorer was the #1 browser for years until chrome came along.

My point is that you never know who's in the shadows taking notes about the flaws in your armor and plotting to take you down.

They may have had a ten year headstart and have a load of experience to back it up but that doesn't mean that the number one spot is guaranteed for the duration of PokeMMOs existence.

Like I said bro they can afford to do as they please in the face of player dissatisfaction because they're pretty much the only horse in the race worth riding but if a legit Clydesdale shows up then the real race is on

Edited by Ryukaai
2 minutes ago, Ryukaai said:

You know... Block buster thought the same about Netflix...

Mike Tyson was the champ until buster Douglas... 

And Internet explorer was the #1 browser for years until chrome came along.

My point is that you never know who's in the shadows taking notes about the uguu's in your armor and plotting to take you down.

They may have had a ten year headstart and have a load of experience to back it up but that doesn't mean that the number one spot is guaranteed for the duration of PokeMMOs existence.

Like I said bro they can afford to do as they please in the face of player dissatisfaction because they're pretty much the only horse in the race worth riding but if a legit Clydesdale shows up then the real race is on

Pokemon MMO's are a very niche genre of video games, trying to compare that to something on the scale of an internet browser or professional sport is very farfetched. 

and as Kyu has made clear in the past, this is just a hobby for him. I doubt he'd be devastated if PokeMMO *only* had a 10-year run of success. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Pokemon MMO's are a very niche genre of video games, trying to compare that to something on the scale of an internet browser or professional sport is very farfetched. 

and as Kyu has made clear in the past, this is just a hobby for him. I doubt he'd be devastated if PokeMMO *only* had a 10-year run of success. 

Well I gave a more relevant and comparable example with the Sims and paralives above but the overall metaphor still applies even using those examples...My point is that the number one spot isn't guaranteed just because you're currently the biggest and best on the scene.

Kyu may indeed not really care and that's not really relevant to my point but I know I would and many others would too if another game came along that rivaled this one and started to slowly overtake it as the best PokeMMO. I would hate to jump ship because of all the accomplishments and progress on my account but I would if they provided a superior experience.

12 minutes ago, Allenyatsura said:

he just posted this, if he didn't say anything about 
the event not happening, and he put on the hats I think 
it has a great chance of happening even if it's the end of
 the month, like the winter event.
link: Kyu status

kyu.png

no... no no no NO, please no... Please don't put this *** as a alpha on XMas Event. Just NO, don't try to argument for his stay, just NO, this *** can't come to OU metagaming.

7 minutes ago, Ryukaai said:

Well I gave a more relevant and comparable example with the Sims and paralives above but the overall metaphor still applies even using those examples...My point is that the number one spot isn't guaranteed just because you're currently the biggest and best on the scene.

Kyu may indeed not really care and that's not really relevant to my point but I know I would and many others would too if another game came along that rivaled this one and started to slowly overtake it as the best PokeMMO. I would hate to jump ship because of all the accomplishments and progress on my account but I would if they provided a superior experience.

I don't play the Sims so it's hard for me to have an opinion on it, but games like Overwatch, Call of Duty, and pretty much every BR have all had copycats and clones, and none ever succeed. 

*if* someone could make a superior product to PokeMMO there'd be an argument to make, but either nobody wants to because it's a small market, or nobody knows how to. Even when I look at the other Pokemon MMO's, they take all of the things PokeMMO does well, and go in the opposite direction. 3D graphics, non-canon storyline, no breeding system,, no GTL, extremely easy shiny rates, etc. Nobody has attempted to take what PokeMMO does well & improve upon it.

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don't play the Sims so it's hard for me to have an opinion on it, but games like Overwatch, Call of Duty, and pretty much every BR have all had copycats and clones, and none ever succeed. 

*if* someone could make a superior product to PokeMMO there'd be an argument to make, but either nobody wants to because it's a small market, or nobody knows how to. Even when I look at the other Pokemon MMO's, they take all of the things PokeMMO does well, and go in the opposite direction. 3D graphics, non-canon storyline, no breeding system,, no GTL, extremely easy shiny rates, etc. Nobody has attempted to take what PokeMMO does well & improve upon it.

Nobody has but what I'm saying is you never know what's going on behind the scenes

In the past whenever they were cancelling an event they did announce it well ahead of time, and iirc when they cancelled halloween due to them working on unova they even asked if we wanted an exact copy paste of the previous years event (including the same vanities again) or for them to keep working on the new region, and the players let them skip it.

The fact that theyhaven't  said its cancelled yet speaks immense volumes to the older playerbase.

Im 100% convinced theyre just working on something new and its got some kinks that need straightening out. Put your patient pants on

3 minutes ago, awkways said:

In the past whenever they were cancelling an event they did announce it well ahead of time, and iirc when they cancelled halloween due to them working on unova they even asked if we wanted an exact copy paste of the previous years event (including the same vanities again) or for them to keep working on the new region, and the players let them skip it.

The fact that theyhaven't  said its cancelled yet speaks immense volumes to the older playerbase.

Im 100% convinced theyre just working on something new and its got some kinks that need straightening out. Put your patient pants on

first argument with enough common sense and facts according to the past 💪

56 minutes ago, awkways said:

Ok Dad, ty for the imput ❤️ 

1 hour ago, awkways said:

Listen to grandpa awk y'all stop rioting. 

I'll happily announce that I voted no - here are my reasons:

• Unless this is your first event, the same things happen every single year (the only change will probably be you can receive a Shiny Christmas Bobble Hat or whatever it's called)
  • So many people expect the event to release as soon as possible, and then are the first to complain about any bugs which occur due to releasing early
  • The 10 year anniversary event showed that when the Devs provided information everyone complained
  • People wanting to grind on Christmas Day have already proven they need to touch grass

People can access this information from previous changelogs, the only changes which may possibly happen is moveset additions and new HAs - the vanity items have been an extremely poor investment as well so if that's your reason for getting excited then cross that off your list.

For Johto releasing, I'm pretty sure people will be complaining about the storyline, features not being implemented, dungeons not releasing or something completely trivial.

Happy to be a grinch.

Edited by Imperial

The premise of this thread is just hilarious, do you really expect a poll like this to have any effect on anything. You can make reasonable - and if possible - polite posts explaining why it is dissapointing to not know beforehand if you're going to have a Christmas event or whatever but polls and comments like we have here just reeks entitlement. It has that "I want something so give me it now" vibe which is incredibly offputting. Could the MMO Devs communicate things a bit better with the community sometimes? Well absolutely, and I'm sure they know it as well. But come on, these forum threads are getting quite sad.

Voted no because if they give a fixed date of what's to come well this happens. Nobody can adequately predict when something will be up and ready so there may be a slip, and then everybody's ready to come up in arms at their doorstep. Even if they managed to meet the deadline every single time though with no quality issues, wouldn't people appreciate an update more if they weren't expecting anything rather than if they knew what to expect from the get-go? I know that I personally really enjoyed when the 3rd phase of the anniversary came about and I learned right then and there not only how they chose to implement hidden abilities but that they also chose to implement assault vest.

tl;dr I'd rather have a system where I can be pleasantly surprised than one where my expectations are betrayed.

9 hours ago, Kyklous said:

Voted no because if they give a fixed date of what's to come well this happens. Nobody can adequately predict when something will be up and ready so there may be a slip, and then everybody's ready to come up in arms at their doorstep. Even if they managed to meet the deadline every single time though with no quality issues, wouldn't people appreciate an update more if they weren't expecting anything rather than if they knew what to expect from the get-go? I know that I personally really enjoyed when the 3rd phase of the anniversary came about and I learned right then and there not only how they chose to implement hidden abilities but that they also chose to implement assault vest.

tl;dr I'd rather have a system where I can be pleasantly surprised than one where my expectations are betrayed.

Thank you! People just assumed the event would drop in Christmas, without any confirmation. It's obvious there might've been some problems with the event launch, but just demanding cOmMuNiCaTiOn about some unrealistic expectation they put on themselves is dumb.