Genuine question about this community (Economics)

Hello there,

I wanted to bring up something that has brought my attention and always wondered but never understood the logics - and that's how the community in this game thinks economically so I would like to hear your thoughts.

This has happened with many vanity items, but the one that has interested me are the Pumpcat and Trick Kitty vanities. These originally cost 2,000 RP, which were around 4.8-5m at the time. These items were very popular, and shortly after the event had ended, increased in price. Now, only a few days later, the price for both have dropped significantly and below their initial 1,000 RP price which means everyone who is selling now is making a loss of profit.

So my question is when many players had a chance to grind extra cash during Halloween and/or other methods, why do they behave like this and are keen to lose profit? I understand the market is currently oversaturated with these items, which may cause panic among players, but other vanities like the Golden Dragon Mask haven't experienced this - the main example I can think of which is similar is the Golden Tiger Mask.

There's no true purpose to this topic, but I always found this mindset to be stupid, so please share your thoughts.

Edited by Imperial
2 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Hello there,

I wanted to bring up something that has brought my attention and always wondered but never understood the logics - and that's how the community in this game thinks economically so I would like to hear your thoughts.

This has happened with many vanity items, but the one that has interested me are the Pumpcat and Trick Kitty vanities. These originally cost 1,000 RP, which were around 4.8-5m at the time. These items were very popular, and shortly after the event had ended, increased in price. Now, only a few days later, the price for both have dropped significantly and below their initial 1,000 RP price which means everyone who is selling now is making a loss of profit.

So my question is when many players had a chance to grind extra cash during Halloween and/or other methods, why do they behave like this and are keen to lose profit? I understand the market is currently oversaturated with these items, which may cause panic among players, but other vanities like the Golden Dragon Mask haven't experienced this - the main example I can think of which is similar is the Golden Tiger Mask.

There's no true purpose to this topic, but I always found this mindset to be stupid, so please share your thoughts.

2,000* RP

during the halloween event a few were put in GTL, they most likely hoarded them or bought vanities out, I guess.

After the event - they hope for a rise obviously at a certain point people wants to sell it for profit and the lowball fight starts until they hit their initial price or lower. 

And the players are scared to lose even more than they already did so they panic sell anyway.

but imo theres more events to come, rp and money is needed for the next vanities, it shouldnt have rised that high anyway.

gtl mafia to stronk 😞 xD

Edited by Darkoure

3 hours ago, Imperial said:

why do they [...] are keen to lose profit? 

Nice topic Imperial. I just wanted to answer a bit of my knowledge. In this case, I think it's to o prevent further losses, perhaps? 😉

This is a tip from a friend of mine in game: when you notice a price dropping, selling and potentially rebuying at a lower price later could be a wise move ^^

3 hours ago, Imperial said:

These originally cost 2,000 RP, which were around 4.8-5m at the time. These items were very popular [...]

I agree, they are indeed lovely cosmetics! ^^

Edited by MightyMichele
2 hours ago, Faka said:

he bought?

dump it

That isn't the point, for context I sold them when they were 6m+, I was talking about the community and their mindset in general.

1 hour ago, Darkoure said:

during the halloween event a few were put in GTL, they most likely hoarded them or bought vanities out, I guess.

After the event - they hope for a rise obviously at a certain point people wants to sell it for profit and the lowball fight starts until they hit their initial price or lower. 

And the players are scared to lose even more than they already did so they panic sell anyway.

but imo theres more events to come, rp and money is needed for the next vanities, it shouldnt have rised that high anyway.

gtl mafia to stronk 😞 xD

This was more of a response I was looking for.

13 hours ago, Stardustkiller28 said:

Lets talk a bit if the cosmetics the problem is example trick cat and pump cat are limited that means that all can have it now lets ficus in shadow club not all players can have one for his rate for that reason the price is too elegantes because is Hard to obtain the limiteds can have it everyone whit money   

There are still thousands of shadow bone club. They're not rare. They're hoarded and more desired than the other vanities. The rarest ultra is the white rabbit because you have to remember during the time of it's release, players were more focused on getting shaymin rather then farming the event. They're more expensive than the other ultras because the demand for them is huge and the supply is low.

At least for the last two years, it's relatively uncommon for vanities to go above RP price, with some tanking millions below their original price.

In this image, I've laid out all the RP limited vanities in the past 2 years. With the green arrow going up, they've gone up in price and the line representing staying the same price. The rest have gone down in value. And for the trick kitty and pumpcat, I still think it's too early to tell. Even with their uniqueness and high base price, the stock might end up being too high for people to keep for the next few events. We'll really get to see a better price once event season is over. 

But the ones that have are significantly higher than their RP price, except Golden Rabbit Mask, which after 10 months is around the price it was originally. The Legendary Robes are each nearly 3x'd what they were during the event after a year, and the Red Unity Cape being 4x'd and The green unity cape being 5x their original price after 10 months. I think the similarities of these may be the amount of vanities offered at the same time. Especially how the green unity cape had 5 other vanities next to it. With this, it's harder for casual buyers to pick a vanity when they only have so much cash and for a market manipulator to pay attention and buy all different vanities at the same time. Generally, the less popular vanities will be less invested (like the green unity cape), have less stock, then end up having a higher price if the vanity becomes wanted. 

And the sheer amount of hat vanities in the game might affect the prices of other hat vanities as well. It's a lot harder to want to keep a vanity that you're not using when there's just so many hat options. This probably explains the price difference between the green harvest crown and the green unity cape. The unity cape just has so much more versatility. 

Overall, I still think there are opportunities for vanities to go up over RP price even in the first year, even with the amount of players that may have the money to buy these items. But I understand the frustration with vanities that are very good in the hands of everyone after they've saturated the market.

image.png

Edited by drakesstepson

@drakesstepson  Nice ^^

I think the Fire Dragon Robes might be missed in the list since its price closely matches the original release price (currently 3,58m). With its resemblance to legendary blue and purple robes— only differing in textures — however its less attractive orange color, it could potentially join the list of vanities that increased in price, perhaps until next year ^^

Edited by MightyMichele
4 hours ago, MightyMichele said:

@drakesstepson  Nice ^^

I think the Fire Dragon Robes might be missed in the list since its price closely matches the original release price (currently 3,58m). With its resemblance to legendary blue and purple robes— only differing in textures — however its less attractive orange color, it could potentially join the list of vanities that increased in price, perhaps until next year ^^

this is true i couldve included it but idk how this one is gonna go cuz it was sitting pretty low until trick kitty came out, but the stock is probably the same and the demand might not stick overtime. i predict it'll go back similarly to its price prior to the halloween event because theres probably enough in the game to be rotated during the event season. but who knows anything could happen 😄

Since China entered the RP Market and tanked RP Items into oblivion investing into limiteds didnt really pay off anymore in smaller Investments. A a Price increase, like the Kyu Hat or even older Vanitys will most likely never appear again. The market is way too overflown with limiteds and they prob will take many years after Release at that point to even go up slightly

The value placed on vanities is based on what the community thinks its worth so when a new vanity is released its price rises initially because of the hype. Then the price goes down/stabilizes as the hype dies down. Then as more people stop playing and the vanity gets rare people start thinking its worth more money because it's becoming more rare and the price goes up again. (if it gets released at the gift shop again the cycle restarts) We have seen this every time they released the torch vanity or the xmas sleigh.

The rate at which the vanity price drops/increases depends on the hype around the item which explains why items like the werewolf masks have different prices despite coming out at the same time and with the same RP price. 

What I find interesting to me is that people sell less than the item's worth in RP. For example, if I buy an item for 1,000 RP, limited or not, it would not make much sense to price that item less than the price of a 1,000 voucher.

My thinking is this: There is a unique situation where gift shop only items can be purchased with RP points. While RP vouchers can help players obtain these items who never intend to donate, the reality is that someone had to fork over a donation and get their credit card to get those points in the first place. That honestly should be an incredibly advantageous position to set the price floor on the market, especially when trying to sell to players who don't have any RP points at all.

Yet, it seems like for literally every limited vanity, there are a shit ton of panic sellers that don't realize the inherent value that they're holding onto. I get it that demand is a factor in all of this, but IMO a lot of the community collectively doesn't hold the line to maintain price floors on paid cosmetics really well.

1 hour ago, Raichuforyou said:

What I find interesting to me is that people sell less than the item's worth in RP. For example, if I buy an item for 1,000 RP, limited or not, it would not make much sense to price that item less than the price of a 1,000 voucher.

My thinking is this: There is a unique situation where gift shop only items can be purchased with RP points. While RP vouchers can help players obtain these items who never intend to donate, the reality is that someone had to fork over a donation and get their credit card to get those points in the first place. That honestly should be an incredibly advantageous position to set the price floor on the market, especially when trying to sell to players who don't have any RP points at all.

Yet, it seems like for literally every limited vanity, there are a shit ton of panic sellers that don't realize the inherent value that they're holding onto. I get it that demand is a factor in all of this, but IMO a lot of the community collectively doesn't hold the line to maintain price floors on paid cosmetics really well.

as soon as the option to buy the vanity for RP the RP Price doesnt matter anymore - its just about what you can get in pure pokeyen on the market at this point. It just gets crushed by the much greater supply

10 hours ago, McTermi said:

Since China entered the RP Market and tanked RP Items into oblivion investing into limiteds didnt really pay off anymore in smaller Investments. A a Price increase, like the Kyu Hat or even older Vanitys will most likely never appear again. The market is way too overflown with limiteds and they prob will take many years after Release at that point to even go up slightly

this.

like it or hate it but he's right.

Edited by Johnwaynee
On 11/16/2023 at 3:17 PM, Imperial said:

Hello there,

This has happened with many vanity items, but the one that has interested me are the Pumpcat and Trick Kitty vanities. These originally cost 2,000 RP, which were around 4.8-5m at the time. These items were very popular, and shortly after the event had ended, increased in price. Now, only a few days later, the price for both have dropped significantly and below their initial 1,000 RP price which means everyone who is selling now is making a loss of profit.

I think was panic attack on the new players. Older ones probably doesn't selled those cosmetics, instead they decided to keep them to sell later. On the event end, new people might think: The event is over, no one can buy the vanity anymore so they will go on GTL to buy it, lemme sell them to profit.