[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

2 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

@Gunthug

You should really try and limit your emotional response to posts on a pokemon forum. Gonna give yourself an ulcer. @BurntZebra had 0 interest in hosting a PSL event after the update. He actually had little interest in playing at all. 

Did we jump the gun? Maybe, but the community was asking for it, much like you asked for my ban, and thus we couldn't deny them. I included Gb and Riga because both of them were trying to put together a server wide event and I figured they'd do an awesome job. Zebra was tossed in because he felt left out and then we added Lkrenz to bridge the spanish community and because he wanted to. While I was the face of the event, all five of us really made it happen. Well aside from Riga who was convicted of manslaughter to the Nth degree and was forcefully removed. 

Regarding my interest in stopping the PSL, it really just stems from how negative, how boring, and how laissez faire it's become. Is that my fault as host? Potentially. It would really be nice if someone proved to me that we can still put together an event worth while. I know there are several big name players who didn't play this season that are interested in PSL10 just because it in theory is a milestone.

Now moving forward, if you take issue with me commenting on the PSL in general, I ask that you just simply ignore me. If you feel inclined to remain toxic, then so be it. 

This isn't entirely true. To put it lightly, when the update hit, I felt the update was extremely rushed and very unpolished. Even though I had less time due to me being ass blasted by classes and having a job, I was still somewhat prepared to do a little grind and stay in the competitive scene. But when I saw abilities and moves not working, barely any competitive items working, hidden abilities not implemented, missing key gen 4 pokemon, and still no legendary dungeons in sight, I figured why waste my precious time and resources making comps that might be potentially outclassed eventually.

That being said, I never said I had zero interest in hosting PSL again. I was mostly just waiting for another update that might actually polish up the turd that the Devs shit out in November. Seeing how slow they are to updating even minor things like abilities and moves makes me think maybe starting PSL in January wasn't a terrible idea in hindsight, since the only update that has hit during PSL wasn't really much of a competitive/PVP related patch, and if we did decide to wait for moves, abilities, and stuff like eviolite to be implemented before we started PSL again, we'd still be waiting now. I was somewhat surprised when you posted the PSL9 threads without consulting me at all or asking for input.

I still do believe there should be greater time in between PSL seasons. The first few seasons of PSL had an appropriate amount of time in between them. I definitely recall seeing one season of PSL end, and the donation thread for the next season already open again. Obviously a donation thread doesn't really indicate when PSL will actually start, but seeing it around definitely makes PSL feel a bit less special. Players who won the previous season were still riding that high of winning and didn't need PSL right away, while players who lost still had the sour taste of defeat in their mouths, and needed more time for that taste to wash away. Even though there might be a lack of unofficials in the game right now, I don't think spamming PSL is the best course of action. Orange has made some attempts at various unofficials, which I admire him for, although this also made me realize that the playerbase is somewhat unable to handle tournaments that deviate from the standard challonge bracket tournaments. 

For PSL10, which should definitely happen, I'd like to see various changes made. First, a "humongous" prize pool. I'm thinking 100mil. I've seen individual players with over 100mil, so I think it's definitely obtainable. PSL being started relatively soon after a major update probably didn't help with donations this time around. The only reason we had any substantial prize this season was due to Riga.exe generously donating part of his scammed funds to us. Second, the host shouldn't play. Fortunately for us, I think we have a few good choices on people who would want to host and not mind not playing. Even I might consider not playing, depending on how future updates and future tiers roll out. Third, don't allow @gbwead to host because he'll allow coaching and that is filth. Fourth, add some unique element to the 10th season to shake it up and make it spicy. I'm not exactly sure what that unique aspect should be yet, but something to make the season memorable besides it being the 10th one.

1 hour ago, Gunthug said:

Edit: just found my wallet, for anyone who was super worried for me. Weekend is back intact 

Dw man, I too have my dumb days.  I once left my wallet at Arby's because you make the payment on one side of the room, and then collect your food on a completely opposite side. So while I was collecting the change, I got called to pick up my order, and forgot that I left my wallet on the table until someone standing behind me reminded me to pick it up. Today I went to the Post Office to mail my tax form, and the guy says "63," and I immediately have a brain fart pull out 63$ without realizing that he meant 63 cents. Thank God he didn't hustle me. Glad you found your wallet cuz I've been in the same situation and the panic can be real. 

If anyone wants to know why I posted this, I just felt like sharing :(

8 minutes ago, NikhilR said:

Dw man, I too have my dumb days.  I once left my wallet at Arby's because you make the payment on one side of the room, and then collect your food on a completely opposite side. So while I was collecting the change, I got called to pick up my order, and forgot that I left my wallet on the table until someone standing behind me reminded me to pick it up. Today I went to the Post Office to mail my tax form, and the guy says "63," and I immediately have a brain fart pull out 63$ without realizing that he meant 63 cents. Thank God he didn't hustle me. Glad you found your wallet cuz I've been in the same situation and the panic can be real. 

If anyone wants to know why I posted this, I just felt like sharing :(

Number one thing I took from this - who the hell carries 63 dollars in cash on them in 2018?

Edited by Gunthug
Just now, TJXD said:

They have the meats.

My law school friends were like having a debate as to which fast food joint is the best, and one of them was continuously insisting that it was Arby's. I was just walking one day and saw "Oh hey, there's an Arby's" and got all excited. 

Edited by NikhilR
5 hours ago, Kimikozen said:

a few months break

PSL was a much more anticipated tournament when it was annual. Having only a few months between each tournament has contributed significantly to its decline; the expectancy for it to happen multiple times per year has almost made it commonplace and has therefore, in my opinion, made it feel much less exclusive. 

If PSL wants to resume greatness, then I think we do need to stop jumping the gunt and make it annual again. 

E: +1000000 to the claim that this season was started far too soon after the update - tiers are still settling; and items, moves and abilities are still being implemented. Starting this season as early as it was, was asking for it to be the shitfest that it has ended up being. No offence to JJ in that regard because PSL is one of the more interesting elements of this game right now, but it absolutely would have been more sensible to wait at least a few more months before getting PSL up and running again after such a substantial update. 

Edited by Zymogen

@Zymogen Yeah true you make a good point. My thought process was a few months because summer is right around the corner and people have more free time etc. But to your point, a longer wait means bigger prize pool, more mechanics released to the true game, and hype building. I'm fine with either option to be honest as long as we figure out coaching problems, tiers, and host situation way before the season starts. I think I'm leaning to 6+ month hiatus now.

8 hours ago, Zymogen said:

PSL was a much more anticipated tournament when it was annual. Having only a few months between each tournament has contributed significantly to its decline; the expectancy for it to happen multiple times per year has almost made it commonplace and has therefore, in my opinion, made it feel much less exclusive. 

If PSL wants to resume greatness, then I think we do need to stop jumping the gunt and make it annual again. 

E: +1000000 to the claim that this season was started far too soon after the update - tiers are still settling; and items, moves and abilities are still being implemented. Starting this season as early as it was, was asking for it to be the shitfest that it has ended up being. No offence to JJ in that regard because PSL is one of the more interesting elements of this game right now, but it absolutely would have been more sensible to wait at least a few more months before getting PSL up and running again after such a substantial update. 

I think anual might be a bit much, but I too have always been vocal about psl being run too frequently. It would make sense to not host s10 until all abilities are working, all moves are working, all items are working, more tiers are being run and thriving. If we can hold off the next psl for soon^tm I'm sure it will be one of the best seasons

1 hour ago, Kizhaz said:

I think anual might be a bit much, but I too have always been vocal about psl being run too frequently. It would make sense to not host s10 until all abilities are working, all moves are working, all items are working, more tiers are being run and thriving. If we can hold off the next psl for soon^tm I'm sure it will be one of the best seasons

Aye, annual may be a bit excessive. I was just trying to emphasise that it needs to slow down I suppose. 6-9 months seems like a good medium

1 hour ago, Kizhaz said:

Human lifespan is not that long.

idea for new coaching rule.

bounty system of 1 mil per report resulting in a ban. proof is required. 

get caught? 10 game ban. so if you have 3 games left in the season, you are banned for 7 games next season.

if the person getting coached was in on it they get banned to. if they didnt ask it for it, but also didnt report it 5 game ban.

thoughts? its got to be harsh enough that it is not worth the risk, these yellow cards are just too weak.

27 minutes ago, fredrichnietze said:

get caught? 10 game ban. so if you have 3 games left in the season, you are banned for 7 games next season.

if the person getting coached was in on it they get banned to. if they didnt ask it for it, but also didnt report it 5 game ban.

thoughts? its got to be harsh enough that it is not worth the risk, these yellow cards are just too weak.

not a bad idea but you'd be fucked if they added this tbh

1 hour ago, fredrichnietze said:

i havent been coached and i dont coach, i would be fine. and regardless of who would or wouldnt get fucked this would be a good thing for the community and psl. 

LMAO !!! you made my day

Edited by PinkLabel
4 hours ago, fredrichnietze said:

I’ll coach people. LF ppl to report me and we go 50/50

eaz money maker

1 hour ago, fredrichnietze said:

500k split in exchange for a 10 week ban and a good chance at never being bought by another team ever again? ok if thats what you want....

Or i can make an alt and pretend to be a random

eaz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.