Define the Sturdy - Steel Type Art Contest (November 5th - December 5th)

Rache

>When people take this shit too seriously

Stop caring if people are doing it for fun/jokes, not everyone can draw. Does it really harm you if the drawing is a piece of shit? It's almost as if we need to put a *spoiler - bad at drawing* to not trigger these people.

EDIT:

Because I can.

595e867764d33acb3ecef87cd897a276.png

Edited by KaynineXL
On 2/24/2016 at 9:21 PM, Moetal said:

For someone who had spent so much time studying and practicing art, I'm quite talentless to be stuck on this skill level. Heck, if you compare me to someone like Lache, you'll see how much of a laughing stock I am. People do not born skilled in art, nor will having "talent" in drawing makes them a better artist. Efforts and motivations to learn and grow is what separates great artists from good artists. If I had spent more effort into honing my skills, I might've been a much better artist. Every person here is aiming to draw with the best of their ability and get better. Aside from the obviously cheesy ones, every drawing here is a masterpiece. A five years old's drawing might not look as polished or as pretty as a professional artist's drawing, but the five years old's drawing might not lose to a professional artist's drawing in artistic aspect. A pretty picture does not make it art automatically.

For aspiring artists, do not trade your passion for glory. Every drawing you make, even if it doesn't win anything, is a masterpiece.

7 minutes ago, Munya said:
On 2/24/2016 at 7:21 PM, Moetal said:

For someone who had spent so much time studying and practicing art, I'm quite talentless to be stuck on this skill level. Heck, if you compare me to someone like Lache, you'll see how much of a laughing stock I am. People do not born skilled in art, nor will having "talent" in drawing makes them a better artist. Efforts and motivations to learn and grow is what separates great artists from good artists. If I had spent more effort into honing my skills, I might've been a much better artist. Every person here is aiming to draw with the best of their ability and get better. Aside from the obviously cheesy ones, every drawing here is a masterpiece. A five years old's drawing might not look as polished or as pretty as a professional artist's drawing, but the five years old's drawing might not lose to a professional artist's drawing in artistic aspect. A pretty picture does not make it art automatically.

For aspiring artists, do not trade your passion for glory. Every drawing you make, even if it doesn't win anything, is a masterpiece.

Pity these contests don't take effort or creativity into account.

21 minutes ago, Moetal said:

Pity these contests don't take effort or creativity into account.

Forgive me Moetal, as I'm going to come across as rude;

You've won a rather large amount of art contests since you've started participating in them - on the rare occasion that you didn't win one (and yet still placed in 2nd), you're complaining about it?

Rebuild your composure, because you're coming across as childish.

3 hours ago, Pyroface said:

As far as we know, Havshas at least got 2nd place locked, and that's the route these art contests tend to take.

3 hours ago, Moetal said:

Oh but @Havsha has such a nice drawing and it has such a magnetic feel to it. It deserves to win a place no doubt in the minds of the judges.

Actually it's Benjaminvoz, check IGN of the post ;)

17 minutes ago, Darkshade said:

Forgive me Moetal, as I'm going to come across as rude;

You've won a rather large amount of art contests since you've started participating in them - on the rare occasion that you didn't win one (and yet still placed in 2nd), you're complaining about it?

Rebuild your composure, because you're coming across as childish.

Maybe you should spend more time looking into WHY I was not happy and the whole shitstorm in the last thread before you post? I dunno, might help your post look less silly?

It's not that people are triggered by joke art (don't read as "bad"). It's an old joke and it's always the same people laughing is all. 

Oh god. Can we not go on about someone else winning last time? Rachel is one of the best artists here and before she was staff she didn't win every contest either - despite spending hours and hours and hours on every piece she made. 

She was pretty graceful about it I'll add. 

let's just enjoy the art and get on with it. 

Edited by Emlee

Wow...just wow...i came here thinking that it would be cool/funny/interesting to participate, thought everyone felt the same, wrong mistake. 

I realize now that people actually takes these things serious and don't see it like i do (not saying that they should).

Anyways, my opinion is not nearly close to be important, and my intention is not to offend, but here it is:

If you're into art stuff and feel hurt because of the criteria that judges use: pm staff politely to make your oppinion worthy of attention instead of thrashing in the forums, you guys look adorable. 

Also if you're a staff member and THIS is happening, you must be doing something wrong, at least listen to what they're trying to say and try to solve the issue instead of claiming that you didn't do anything wrong. 

The main problem: "I'm right, you're wrong".

Anyways that's just my opinion, i hope not to trigger anyone.

5 hours ago, Moetal said:

Maybe you should spend more time looking into WHY I was not happy and the whole shit storm in the last thread before you post? I dunno, might help your post look less silly?

I dont think what Darkshade said was silly because I share the same thoughts on your behaviour towards the winner of the last contest. As someone who is clearly talented and knows it I would have thought you would be encouraging of others trying to showcase and build upon their talents. 

Whilst you were not happy with the results of the last contest, you had a right to voice that in the results thread in a dignified manner - which for the most part you did. However you have continued to post about this in a new competition and frankly I find your posts distasteful as they are taking away from the people who have spent their time entering it. The attention should be on them, this isn't the time and place to bring up past grievances. 

Candidly, I have a lot of respect for you and your efforts with the Moemon project and I respect anyone who puts that amount of time into a project for others. However, I have to say I am starting to question if I really should feel this way about you due to your behaviour towards Rachel and the winner of the last contest. 

@SodaNaranja - dont be put off by comments, I personally love your work. 

This convo should probably be in the event suggest. & feedback thread, but I want to weigh in.

For me, I thought the last art competition's winner's artwork was below that of several other pieces; and this really gave off the impression of "old winners won't be new winners". But, I understand this and accept it, and many old winners continue to produce artwork in spite of this tendency. And I also understand that my opinion differs from the judges who actually make the decision.

However, what I would like to see (and I think would be possible considering the not so high number of entries) would be a critique section that explains what the judges liked and disliked, as well as potential suggestions, for ALL entrants.

I think this would help "old winners" understand why they didn't place in spite of their amazing artwork, besides just the fact that they were "old winners". And, generally, it would provide a source for improvement for the entrants.

There was no "old winner" argument or anything like that.

I voted Lyouie - Moetal - WolfgangDamien.

Other votted differently, and to be honest, after reading their arguments, I was tented to change my vote. But I didnt, because there's different judges for different opinions imo.

The colors on the WolfgangDamien entry weren't perfect but I voted for it regarding effort and theme.

Now, the contest has ended. As we all know, everybody took it with respect and fairplay (just like every contest should be right ?).

There already is good entries here, why do you focus on bad things that aren't even related to this thread ?

Just enjoy this new one, and do your best if you want to make sure to be in the top3.

3 hours ago, Gilan said:

However, what I would like to see (and I think would be possible considering the not so high number of entries) would be a critique section that explains what the judges liked and disliked, as well as potential suggestions, for ALL entrants.

I think this would help "old winners" understand why they didn't place in spite of their amazing artwork, besides just the fact that they were "old winners". And, generally, it would provide a source for improvement for the entrants.

Not a bad idea, this is something I'll consider doing this time around. On that note, if anyone would like my honest feedback on their entry from a previous contest, feel free to send me a PM with a link to your artwork. I'll look it over for issues and ways to improve it. For the sake of fairness, I won't critique entries from the currently running contest until it's over.

I should also point out that winning once doesn't reduce someone's chances of winning again. Each contest is judged separately - everything outside of the entry itself is disregarded.

Edited by RacheLucario
Fixed wording
5 hours ago, Gilan said:

Well, not for all. Every art contest has people like Havs, Telf or LifeStyle who post paint art for lulz, even though they never win, they always bring a smile into the competition itself imo they shouldn't be getting any critique because they are away from "art".

I actually loved all the entries, regardless of their level (and one especially but I guess everyone should have their favourite). Some just amazed me, other made me laugh pretty hard. Isn't that what it's all about? To have sum fun, laughs and calcs?

8 hours ago, Noad said:

I dont think what Darkshade said was silly because I share the same thoughts on your behaviour towards the winner of the last contest. As someone who is clearly talented and knows it I would have thought you would be encouraging of others trying to showcase and build upon their talents. 

I don't think you understood the main point why I was not happy with the "result" of the last contest at all. 

Second and third places were very close.

This was what was noted in the third place's result comment. Again I don't mind placing second, but I'm not happy because Rachel noted my work and Rainbow's work ambiguously as "very close". Regardless what she actually meant by "very close", it meant my drawing was, in the eyes of the judges, only as good as a eye-copied drawing, and everyone's drawing were not even as good. Think of it this way - you and other artists spend hours planning, designing, and drawing a work, but only to get beaten by a photocopy of the official artwork. How does that make you feel? Of course, that was a bit of a stretch example as Rainbow's work is much much better than just a straight photocopy, and it's a charming piece of work but I believe you understand the concept why it bothers me so much that it get placed in front of so many other artwork. Again, I am not hating on Rainbow, nor against his artwork.

Mind you, I've been quite quiet about this. In fact, should I have not lost the bet, my post on my first page of this thread should've been the last post I make. Bandage don't fix bullet holes, nor do wounds heal overnight. While I do admit I have crossed more lines than I should've, I'm a person too; cut me some slack.

Step aside PSL, we have a new dedicated drama thread.

I'm surprised so many self-proclaimed professional level artists don't seem to understand how subjective it is how people enjoy artwork and that pure technical skill does not always result in a more enjoyable artwork. I really don't think any sorts of art should ever be ranked or compared between each other but as giving participation ribbons to everyone sucks, this is the best you can do in terms of making an art related forum event. I'm absolutely horrible at any sorts of visual art so but I enjoy viewing these through while waiting for another music related in another 8 months, but it's really sad to see something that's supposed to be fun turn into pointless drama.

I just wanted to add my two cents, since it took that turn.

My complaint on the last contest was purely over skill. Whether judges mean it that way or not, ranking that Breloom over my own entry is telling me Im not as skillful as the Breloom picture, and I havent produced a piece of artwork at that level of skill since I was 12. Its not saying that Breloom wasnt a good picture, as that was the best I could do at one point too, but I am better now, and it felt like a slap in the face with the judges saying "No, you are not any better now than when you were 12." with the added insult of "Moetal and Lyouie are real artists who deserve the win, not you. And literally any other entry is better than yours." Thats how I took it. 

I take my art more seriously than maybe I should, but Ive worked my whole life to become a professional artist, and it is a serious topic to me. 

Since it's been said a few times that "skill" isnt taken into account during judging, maybe I will rethink how I take the results of these contests. But I also feel like maybe that should have been more emphasized, because more than one serious artist has gotten upset over this.