[PSL 6] Summary Thread.

What is this?

Well it's essentially a sound off from me, the host, to you, the community. 

Why though?

It's because I like to talk about stuff.

Fine, just make it quick.

Ok, so this season was my sixth and to be honest, it was a fucking glorious roller coaster of a ride and probably my best experience so far. From the start of the PSL way back in 2014, I never ever imagined I would be a host. It was just too much work for nothing. Like literally, ThinkNice, OrangeManiac, Gunthug, and I get nothing for doing this. Literally nothing. I mean, ThinkNice did scam everyone in Season 3, but hey, he's dead now. Needless to say and despite never, ever wanting to do this, I found that I liked it... I liked it a lot. It was a really great opportunity to just make the PSL into what I always envisioned it would be; a season long event that would bring the community together and pit brother against brother, teammate against teammate, and friends against friends, while also tossing the winners a pretty nickle along the way. And speaking of nickles, I think we exceeded anyone's expectation by hauling in a 52M pot, which I might add was exactly twice as much as Season V. We couldn't quite match the numbers that Season V had in regards to players, but in the end we had just enough. It always sucks to see players get left out of this amazing event, but what can I say, get good and get drafted. I also made a few changes to the rules and at the end of the day, while I pissed a few people off, I think this was one of the most smoothly ran PSL seasons I've seen. Like literally, my managers were great and accepted the rules as they were written. Earthquakes aside, there was so little salt I honestly regretted having a Salty Suite. Although some players from camp RNG gave me some stress throughout the season. Oh and we shouldn't forget our favorite polish pleb #namedrop too. They just like to rustle some JJ jimmies I think. 

So to recap, we started gathering donations like a week or so after PSL V ended. And fuck, were people shocked. I honestly was a little hesitant to start the season so quickly, but it was mostly as an opportunity to have an extended period of donations which I felt was going to be my downfall as host. Like for real, half the community loves me, the other half hates my guts. How was I supposed to gather 20M+ in donation money? Well shoot, that's when the donations really started rolling in and we piled yen after yen until we hit 52M of them. Yikes. After that, the players rioted and we had our manager selection process. Both Gunt and Orange helped me out and we welcomed back Lion, SirVector, and Kanzo as returning managers, but only the first two accepted (RIP Team Mountain). You don't know how bad I wanted to enter a "Host Team", but I already got named the #biasedhost, so why add fuel to the fire? Through a difficult process, we narrowed our managers down to 8 and made the announcement. A lot of peeps were let down and Telf had lost to a coinflip yet again (RIP Telf). After that the player sign ups began and damn was I disappointed. 52M in the pot and the sign ups were weak. The biggest disappointment was when JSTUD and KingBowser didn't play. Like wtf boys, JJ is hosting and you can't even work up the nerve to play DPP all season? Anyhoos, they blamed there being no ORAS. I say fuck that, you guys are plebs =)

Player sign ups came and went, and the eve of the auction was upon us. Lion was already giving me grief and then ultimately dropped out like two or three days before the auction itself. WTF MAN! He claimed it was because he wanted to quit, and kudos to him he actually stayed gone for the most part. The extra manager spot was then offered to either Telf or SpartacusGD, and the overseeing council of prior hosts and myself ultimately decided it was time to pick Telf after losing two coin flips in back to back seasons for a spot at being a manager. He was so happy. I regret it so bad. Your name was cool, but your team was bad. Lub you tho. 

Auction time. It started with some drama right off the bat when KaynineXL was nowhere to be seen and young GymLeaderGaryy had to step up and draft on behalf of Kay. The draft went pretty smoothly for the most part at least until ElCoolio "accidentally" bet 9M on Maekaaay. The managers voted and he was stuck with that overbet. What a fucking pay off that was though! Maekaaay turned out to be a damn stud. The next mistake was done by none other than Telf who accidentally, or jokingly, bid like 23M on one player. I was like shit, you stuck with that, but the managers voted and he was let off the hook. #biasedhost amirite Coolio? At the end of the auction, the teams were looking pretty even and I was hyped, but super nervous after being drafted by Garyy to the Bae's and realizing he might have to bid on himself with our last 14k remaining and us still needing several players to fill the roster. And sure enough, Garyy was nominated and the pleb dropped the max to make sure he was picked up. Ugh. Stress, stress, and more stress. At the end of the day, I surely though Riga had the best roster. Jokes on me. 

The season proceeded without much hiccups, except well some plebs that never played, some plebs that got banned, and one pleb who wasn't a flying-type or had the ability Levitate. The Baenine's were rolling and everyone was making a strong push toward the finish line. Every week was close as fuck and I really enjoyed the 10-tier system. Speaking of which, ties suck, but honestly they really add to that excitement in regards to the standings. They aren't going anywhere. 

Midseason came and went without much nonsense, well except for DoctorPBC strong arming everyone by somehow snagging himself 20K credits after trading like what, 2 or 3 players? The midseason is designed to allow more players in the community a chance to play in the PSL and also help bad teams get good, because it is about competition after all. Doc took it a step further though and used his crafty trade skills to put the midseason on tilt and add not one, but two of the best players from that list to his team. Tbh, I blame SirVector and ElCoolio for each handing Doc all of their credits. Otherwise, it was looking like a mighty fine midseason. 

The next speed bump came when I didn't make the trade deadline early enough. The standings were so close, that I figured everyone was still alive for the playoffs up through Week 6, but alas, they weren't. The trades were furious and Riga was left dismantled. Honestly, I compared most of those trades to trades seen at the NBA deadline and well, I couldn't deny a few of those. While some were cutthroat, many added to the excitement and to the hype. Next season will certainly see an earlier trade deadline and likely an extended playoff race to ensure that no team tries to dismantle themselves again like Team Riga did. Wasn't all that bad though, Doc still lost and the eventual winner was none other than the Komalas who used the same line-up throughout the entire season, rotating everyone in for a chance to play and only making one acquisition at the midseason auction. Talk about loyalty, sheeeeesh. 

So, how did the winners become the winners? Well honestly, I have no clue. The Komalas were the dark horse on my list at the start of the season. Kiz drafted only three LYLE bros at the start of the season and pinned his hopes on a few wild cards like NightArch, Senjuani, Schuchty, and Imabe. Some panned out (Lord Schu) and some were a bust (12k NightArch), but they really rallied together. Well except for Nik and Oltan, who seemed to despise one another the more I watched them. The lesser known players from their squad really stepped up and pulled their weight like LifeStyle and Dreico, and Kizhaz really made sure to make everyone feel welcome with his heart warming sigs and constant appreciation in their team thread. So at the end of the day, the team that was built from the ground up came out victorious and it was simply because of a strong core and some good old fashioned teamwork. 

So with that, congratulations to our Komalas. We look forward to your return next season.

Will JJ host again? Duh. This was too good to pass up. I've got some changes worked up and we'll be seeing the Season 7 donation thread pop up as soon as I can dish out all this prize money for Season 6. 

Please feel free to discuss any changes you might want to see moving forward and when you want Season 7 to make its debut. 

Enjoy =)

EDIT: And might I add, what a fitting end to a competitive season. The entire PSL Season 6 came down to one match, in a sudden death tie breaker. Shout out to @yangsam for the clutch. Team Mountain might finally draft you bro =)

Edited by DoubleJ
6 minutes ago, DoubleJ said:

Earthquakes aside, there was so little salt I honestly regretted having a Salty Suite.

Although some players from camp RNG gave me some stress throughout the season. Oh and we shouldn't forget our favorite polish pleb #namedrop too. They just like to rustle some JJ jimmies I think. 

1. Agreed.

2. Lmfao #Triggered

Aight jokes and shittalking aside, some more serious stuff around here...

First of all, the draft. It's not the first time it happens, first time I was just distasted and now it only got worse. If manager can't even show up for the draft, he should not be a manager. @ShadowGary did an incredible job in drafting Bae's roster, and thus imo, he should be a manager. When a manager does not show up for draft, it's a massive problem- someone has to draft for him, and because of that, that someone also has to be on the team of that exact manager (unless he does not participate in PSL). It's 2:50 am right now and I'm about to go to sleep so I won't bother finding a solution but this is imo really bad and should not happen at all under any circumstances.

Second, the trades. It's something that noone could have predicted, it did not happen in previous seasons and with each next one we're slowly patching up the holes in rules and stuff like that. I thought already from season4 that trades aren't really good for PSL, then I saw Greck... and finally Doc + Riga in this season. You all know what happened, I'm not gonna go into details. Dismantling your entire team to strengthen another(s) should not be allowed. We should think about making a precise rule about not being able to trade players under specific circumstances (such as abysmal chance of reaching playoffs, not reaching certain percentage of player's value etc).

Another thing, salty suite. I'm honestly as disappointed as you are JJ, and we have to remodel this if it's up to live in the next season. It's not the first time that some salty suite matches are not getting played, I don't think we should force someone through vote for a salty suite match. If you do not want to play, then be it, we'll stick a "pussay" sticker on your forehead and give you a calculator avatar and be ashamed of not taking the challenge. I also belive that it's getting very little hype because no true salty suites (except for intended Sejuani v Arimanius- you fuked up scrub) were actually this season + the prize is not really attractive to players- it was not for me actually, I played this only for glory and to have some fun with the mememaster Tranz. This far nothing can really beat 4f vs DoubleJ in S5. Was glorious shit. Step it up plebs =)

Other stuff:

I still belive some stuff needs reworking. I'm all about sportsmanship- if a player disconnects during the duel when it's still pretty much open, when an unexpected accident happens and player logged in like 2-3 hours after deadline but was ready to play the match, then they should. I always saw PSL as a place where you sign up to play your matches, that's what Jobi was spamming for in literally every week thread. It's also about spectators- we want to see matches, don't take it away from us. Extensions should be given only in extreme circumstances, but they should be allowed.

Thing that disgusts me the most though, are players who sign up and do not show up. It's an easy way of allahuakbaring someone's team if you got where you wouldn't wanna be and lost your motivation for PSL, for example if I'd land in Riga's team (it's an example- I'd actually never ever do such a thing even if I'd land in a team full of people who dislike me) and he bought me for 15k, then I'm going rip or not gonna play my matches at all and Riga is in ass with his 15k spent on me because I don't like him or something. Literally after Enrique was released from Cubones, he magically appeared in matchmaking, while spending a lot of his time online on an alt. Scum incarnated.

I don't know yet how to work around this if you don't wanna give refunds but this is not manager's fault at all for player being a shithead and acting like a scum.

All I can think about right now, overall it was not a bad season but I still think the best one this far was S4 =)

#bringbackorangemaniac

E:

Huge shoutout to @yangsam for proving that skill can overcome RNG. You really had bad luck in the most important match of entire season yet you pulled through, really big props for you man. You made that incredibly disappointing and boring match at least a tiny bit entertaining ;)

Edited by RysPicz
2 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Aight jokes and shittalking aside, some more serious stuff around here...

First of all, the draft. It's not the first time it happens, first time I was just distasted and now it only got worse. If manager can't even show up for the draft, he should not be a manager. @ShadowGary did an incredible job in drafting Bae's roster, and thus imo, he should be a manager. When a manager does not show up for draft, it's a massive problem- someone has to draft for him, and because of that, that someone also has to be on the team of that exact manager (unless he does not participate in PSL). It's 2:50 am right now and I'm about to go to sleep so I won't bother finding a solution but this is imo really bad and should not happen at all under any circumstances.

May I add, I would have shown up to the draft if it was to be done at the time that was originally said. DoctorPBJ said he couldn't make it at the original time, so it was done a week earlier which was a really hectic time for me in real life, but there was little to no other option, I tried my best to make it. Had I known from the start the draft would be 1 week earlier, I would not have signed up.

Just now, KaynineXL said:

May I add, I would have shown up to the draft if it was to be done at the time that was originally said. DoctorPBJ said he couldn't make it at the original time, so it was done a week earlier which was a really hectic time for me in real life, but there was little to no other option, I tried my best to make it. Had I known from the start the draft would be 1 week earlier, I would not have signed up.

I actually didn't know about that, my bad then

9 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Other stuff:

I still belive some stuff needs reworking. I'm all about sportsmanship- if a player disconnects during the duel when it's still pretty much open, when an unexpected accident happens and player logged in like 2-3 hours after deadline but was ready to play the match, then they should. I always saw PSL as a place where you sign up to play your matches, that's what Jobi was spamming for in literally every week thread. It's also about spectators- we want to see matches, don't take it away from us. Extensions should be given only in extreme circumstances, but they should be allowed.

u cringe me enough already, please dont take it one step further. Can u explain what I was spamming for again tho, I didnt follow