[PSL9] Season Baen9neXL - THE HYPE THREAD

Just now, Senile said:

i didn't see any coaching in B team. evidence: we're in last

:^)

Or just bad coaches =/

3 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

To be fair, if like you I went 8 psl seasons without a single win or even championship appearance i'd...well I dk what I'd do since I'm not a perpetual loser 

Oh look at him with his cute comebacks. Aww lil gunty are you a big boy now?

After 9 seasons, it should be clear that the coaching rule is ineffective because it can’t be enforced. Most people that coach never get caught and the recent events will only make catching coaches harder as people will probably be more cautious. It’s also now commonly known that coaching is part of the event whether we like it or not and, if you don’t coach, you’re just letting yourself get fucked by people that coach against you.

Imo, coaching should just be allowed. I know it’s messed up, but I would rather see people openly coach than people being sneaky about it. Coaching is commonly accepted for tournaments (team tournaments especially) and other MMO events. PSL, as a team event, wouldn’t be anything less than a great even if coaching was allowed.

I can already imagine some saying that coaching defeats the purpose of the auction and that we would have Frags coaching in 8 tiers every week. I think that’s just unrealistic. If anyone can play 8 duels per week for 12 weeks and win the event, shame on all the competitive community. If that’s possible, we all fucking suck and, if that happens, it should motivate us all to become better players. Coaching is also more difficult if the competitive scene is overall better. What I’m getting at here is that coaching forces people to get better because coaching is ineffective when people get better, so by allowing coaching you indirectly reduce the amount of coaching going on which is a good thing overall.

As for the auction itself, if a manager wants to blow up all his credits on 1 good player and settle for the rest with 2k coached players, that would put incredible pressure on that 1 good player. I don’t believe for a second that it would be possible for such a player to beat more balanced teams.

Getting coached can also help new players improve fast, especially when an entire team is sharing their battling thoughts process. New players would learn a lot about pokemon battling and about the metagame they play in. We would ultimately have better duels to spectate since we wouldn’t see rookie mistakes.

edit: @Gunthug lf your answer nab

edit 2: I'm talking about coaching here, not ghosting.

edit 3: A manager should still not force anyone to get coached even if coaching is allowed.

Edited by gbwead
3 hours ago, redspawn said:

Not that you guys will admit, but do you really think that this was a single case? Or that coaching only happened now? It probably happened in every team in more than 1 PSL round. People are just not scummy enough to leak their own team chats or do it more privately most likely. 

And honestly, what can be done to prevent coaching? It's not something you can stop from happening.

Its not scummy at all to expect fair play and report it when you see it happening, if we had more people do it we might actually have a coach-less season of psl.

That said, i think its unfortunate Barrage was sucked into all of this, I don't really believe he actively participated in it.

Coaching should never be allowed in PSL. What's the point of auctioning players? What's the point of draft? Let me just buy Daryl for 86k and then 7 random nubs for 2k so Daryl can teambuild for them and then coach them into 8-0 victory in any tier. Coaching kills the competition, we ought to measure skills of particular players and not one player's against the rest of the server.

Contrary to what you said @gbwead, coaching stops personal growth, which is the main reason I tend to join PSL. I join PSL to hone my own skills to be able to fare on my own, with my own style, teambuilds and plays. It isn't your teambuild, aren't your plays. I wouldn't be proud of such victory, ever, in my life.

I am fully aware we cannot enforce this rule unless we will get staff involved (though again I'm aware staff prefers to leave PSL as player-ran event) or unless we will make the punishment for this much harsher and people more aware that this is just wrong, from both ethic and competitive point of view.

11 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Coaching should never be allowed in PSL. What's the point of auctioning players? What's the point of draft? Let me just buy Daryl for 86k and then 7 random nubs for 2k so Daryl can teambuild for them and then coach them into 8-0 victory in any tier. Coaching kills the competition, we ought to measure skills of particular players and not one player's against the rest of the server.

Contrary to what you said @gbwead, coaching stops personal growth, which is the main reason I tend to join PSL. I join PSL to hone my own skills to be able to fare on my own, with my own style, teambuilds and plays. It isn't your teambuild, aren't your plays. I wouldn't be proud of such victory, ever, in my life.

I am fully aware we cannot enforce this rule unless we will get staff involved (though again I'm aware staff prefers to leave PSL as player-ran event) or unless we will make the punishment for this much harsher and people more aware that this is just wrong, from both ethic and competitive point of view.

I understand there are bad aspects related to coaching, but at the same time I don't think it's all bad. If people rather get coached than play by themselves, that means that they don't really want to display their own style. A manager shouldn't be allowed to force coaching on his players even if coaching is allowed. Imo, that's a seperate issue.

And if Daryl is capable of coaching his teamates to 8-0 vicotories 12 weeks in a row, that would only show how bad everyone is and would encourage players to get better imo. If Daryl is also coaching by himself against a group of balanced players/coaches, I don't think he would have the upperhand too. 8 duels is a lot of work, imo no one could take care of so many duels by themselves.

PSL is a team event. People scout and build together already. I don't see why playing together is necessarily a bad thing. Sure, in some cases, some players would rather face their opponent 1v1 and that's it, but I could see some hype behind some matches where we see two entire teams facing off through every single match. It puts a lot of pressure on the players because they have the ultimate say in what to do. A dumb puppet will not be as good as a player that filter the good from the bad advices he/she receives.

As for being unable to enforce the coaching rule, imo staff can't do much about it either and harsher punishment doesn't mean much if we can't catch people in the first place. If we want to really do something about coaching, I think devs should be the ones to alter the game to make it more difficult. Imo, a 30 sec delay for specatators would help prevent coaching a lot since timer is so difficult to manage already.

1 minute ago, Spaintakula said:

And I'm pretty sure you're a hypocrite to the eyes of many, not just mine, but okay.

I'm pretty sure gb is playing devil's advocate for a reason and I do not think that his post, defending coaching, is actually what he really thinks. I could be wrong but things just don't feel right

2 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I'm pretty sure gb is playing devil's advocate for a reason and I do not think that his post, defending coaching, is actually what he really thinks. I could be wrong but things just don't feel right

I like playing devil's advocate, perhaps too much sometimes, but I do believe most of the stuff I said in that post.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.