Non-Binary Gender Option(s)

Fewil

Question

I've seen people asking about unlocked hairstyles/clothes etc between the existing gender settings (because so little about the player sprite changes between genders otherwise) and that's a really cool idea, it'd also be really inclusive to have a gender-neutral setting that has story characters use "they/them" and removes words like "girl" and "boy" when referring to your player character. Maybe the big gender stuff with the rivals in Hoenn and Sinnoh could be split, like a non-binary person gets May and Lucas or Brendan and Dawn? Off the top of my head May would be the easier Hoenn rival to rewrite because in Gen 3 she doesn't immediately comment on you being a boy the way Brendan comments on you being a girl.

16 answers to this question

Noone cares.

Lots of work for devs because games are just based on the data from ROMs and we alter these as little as possible.

It would require a lot of changes to the core game system which they definitely won't do.

Plus plenty of nonbinary people played the game and didn't care about it because guess what it's an RPG from 20+ years ago, your character doesn't have to match your gender expression or your personality or anything like that.

So you can go to random.org, toss a coin and decide your character gender that way, you'll be fine 😉 

Unlocking all hairstyles between existing gender settings is a not a bad idea and seems like a fair request. However I’m just not sure if it’s worth the hassle to rewrite npc dialogs or battles even, maybe I’m wrong but I doubt many players pay much attention to dialogs anyway. Like TohnR said, PokeMMO tries to stay the closest to the real thing and tries as much as possible to not alter the core-game experience. Client-wise I’m sure something could be done but it’s probably not a priority for now with Johto coming out.

I’m not sure why some users had to go out of their way to make you feel miserable, props to you for being the bigger person

Edit: thank you whoever removed them

Edited by LeZenor

Hello there!

It's important to take into consideration that the game franchise we adore has a long-standing and treasured history among players from all walks of life. Any alterations to the gender system could potentially affect the sense of familiarity and nostalgia that players associate with these games. As a top-notch emulator, PokeMMO aims to maintain the authenticity of the original game mechanics.

With that said, I firmly believe that preserving the game's current state is crucial. Nevertheless, it's worth noting that the game doesn't restrict players to identifying exclusively as a boy or girl. For instance, there are hairstyles like Sideswept that offer a non-binary appearance, providing an avenue for players to express themselves.

Wishing you the best of luck and enjoyment in your gaming adventures!

Best regards,

MightyMichele

3 hours ago, LeZenor said:

Unlocking all hairstyles between existing gender settings is a not a bad idea and seems like a fair request. However I’m just not sure if it’s worth the hassle to rewrite npc dialogs or battles even, maybe I’m wrong but I doubt many players pay attention much to dialogs anyway. Like TohnR said, PokeMMO tries to stay the closest to the real thing and tries as much as possible to not alter the core-game experience. Client-wise I’m sure something could be done but it’s probably not a priority for now with Johto coming out.

I’m not sure why some users had to go out of their way to make you feel miserable, props for being the bigger person

I fully agree with this comment, I am all for unlocking all hairstyles for existing genders in the game. However, the goal of Pokemmo is to keep the game at its core as similar to the base games as possible which were made 20+ years ago and aren't as inclusive as some games may be now.

Some of these comments have been inappropriate in my opinion and there has been no need to make you feel down about your opinions. I wish you the best even if I don't think your suggestion can or will make it to the game.

5 hours ago, LeZenor said:

Unlocking all hairstyles between existing gender settings is a not a bad idea and seems like a fair request. However I’m just not sure if it’s worth the hassle to rewrite npc dialogs or battles even, maybe I’m wrong but I doubt many players pay much attention to dialogs anyway. Like TohnR said, PokeMMO tries to stay the closest to the real thing and tries as much as possible to not alter the core-game experience. Client-wise I’m sure something could be done but it’s probably not a priority for now with Johto coming out.

I’m not sure why some users had to go out of their way to make you feel miserable, props to you for being the bigger person

This. 

Just wanted to add, I'm not sure if story dialogues are within range of that, but you can change some text strings to whatever you want. PokeMMO will never implement it for reasons but maybe you can have that on your own. I'm no expert here so I hope someone confirms its possible. 

5 hours ago, LeZenor said:

Yeah, it's a very fair concern that my suggestion about the language stuff is a big ask (especially given that there's other text worth changing first like NPCs misleading the player about changed mechanics), but some people came in here basically just to say offensive stuff.

I've personally met my fair share of players walking around in female characters even though they were a bunch of dudes irl.

So I really don't see any harm in adding a the / them / they / it or whatever cause I'm pretty sure end of the day most people just don't care and majority of the players will just pick those characters for trolling purposes. So it's a win-win. The people who genuinely want it get to have it and those who want more trolling content, they get theirs.

Still, the game has a lot of pending bugs and content to develop so such an update is probably not likely to happen anytime soon. Maybe a few more years later when the straight population is not the majority anymore and the DEVs get more request from the community regarding this.

I don't understand the usefulness of this thing, let me explain: you're not playing a character here, you're not your character... so what's the point? just think that many players have a character of the opposite sex to theirs (for example I am a man but my second character is a woman) this is a game, let's not make it something political, so let's stick to the genres given to us by the pokemon company.

peace

Just a friendly reminder that just because something doesn't resonate with you, it doesn't mean it couldn't be important to someone else. And if it doesn't take anything from you, being against it is just prejudice and not actual reasons to be against something.

If OP suggested perks for people who wanted to use this feature, or something, I could get the backlash, but it literally affects no one but those who want to use it. It's crazy how live and let live can't apply on the internet, lol

Edited by Doctor
3 hours ago, Doctor said:

Solo un recordatorio amistoso de que solo porque algo no resuene contigo, no significa que no pueda ser importante para otra persona. Y si no te quita nada, estar en contra es solo un prejuicio y no razones reales para estar en contra de algo.

Si OP sugiriera beneficios para las personas que querían usar esta función, o algo así, podría obtener la reacción violenta, pero literalmente no afecta a nadie más que a aquellos que quieren usarla. Es una locura cómo vivir y dejar vivir no se puede aplicar en Internet, ja

How good that there are players like this among us, after reading several dinosaur comments, regain hope with yours.