September-2023 Movement Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Munya said:

Second month of the season, 2.5% to go down, 6% to go up.

To UU from OU:

Ninetales

Politoed

These are currently being discussed/voted because we would prefer not dropping them during the seasonal month, so this one could be delayed until the new season.

To NU from UU:

Kingler

hold on, Kingler was UU?

1 hour ago, TohnR said:

Dropping mons which were added during the current month doesn't seem reasonable 🙂 

I agree, though mainly due to it being the seasonal tournaments month where a big drop might completely invalidate any research or playing someone did throughout the season.

Assuming the weather mons make a big impact in UU anyway.

1 hour ago, Munya said:

Assuming the weather mons make a big impact in UU anyway.

Yea they do. Sun and Rain would be decently viable if these mons dropped, not saying gamebreaking or instant banworthy but definitely would have a big impact

19 minutes ago, TohnR said:

Yea they do. Sun and Rain would be decently viable if these mons dropped, not saying gamebreaking or instant banworthy but definitely would have a big impact

To be honest it will likely be a huge weather war between Sun vs Rain/Sand. I just feel sorry for Empoleon at this point especially with it also having to deal with Porygon-Z/Yanmega/Sigilyph amongst other things.

Imo, Ninetales and Politoed will end up UU eventually. If the objective is to delay their arrival in UU in order to avoid disrupting the tier because of the upcoming seasonals, that's fair. However, if game changing abilities are planned to be released prior to the seasonals, I don't see the point in waiting at all. 

Edited by gbwead
13 hours ago, gbwead said:

Imo, Ninetales and Politoed will end up UU eventually. If the objective is to delay their arrival in UU in order to avoid disrupting the tier because of the upcoming seasonals, that's fair. However, if game changing abilities are planned to be released prior to the seasonals, I don't see the point in waiting at all. 

Should be fine, if something impactful does drop can just place it somewhere where it won't ruin the seasonal

28 minutes ago, pachima said:

Genuine question: What stops rain in UU?

And please don't mention Empoleon, because at least 3 different rain abusers bully that penguim

What abusers? Kingdra and Kabutops are OU. Besides Ludicolo and Seismitoad, i don't recall any abuser. Maybe Floatzel?

Also, i think the best way to stop rain is countering it with your own weather, like on OU. Sadly, all inducers of other weathers are weak to Politoed's STAB water moves. So, they can't really switch-in safety.

(Don't mention Abomasnow. Even for Untiered he is hot garbage, doesn't expect of it on UU.)

Edited by caioxlive13

Depending on the rain abusers and their respective moveset, there are plenty of answers to rain like Tentacruel, Jellicent, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Slowbro, Mantine, etc. Seismitoad coverage is a little bit scary, but it might be too much prediction reliant to be truly deadly.  Politoed will have to rely on eject button or double switches to keep momentum since it has no pivoting move like u-turn, volt switch, memento, explosion or baton pass. Overall, I don't  think rain is unstoppoable at all in UU. 

56 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Depending on the rain abusers and their respective moveset, there are plenty of answers to rain like Tentacruel, Jellicent, Toxicroak, Gastrodon, Slowbro, Mantine, etc. Seismitoad coverage is a little bit scary, but it might be too much prediction reliant to be truly deadly.  Politoed will have to rely on eject button or double switches to keep momentum since it has no pivoting move like u-turn, volt switch, memento, explosion or baton pass. Overall, I don't  think rain is unstoppoable at all in UU. 

We are really forgetting the real problem coming. 

Ninetales + Venusaur. Ninetales it's not broken, but it sets Sun, and Sun makes venu broken.
Literally if you don't bring Politoed or Hippowdon you auto-lose, venu needs one setup to win the whole game, and if you had one of those two you still has to watch out for Giga drains before switch-in.

Edited by caioxlive13
3 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

We are really forgetting the real problem coming. 

Ninetales + Venusaur. Ninetales it's not broken, but it sets Sun, and Sun makes venu broken.
Literally if you don't bring Politoed or Hippowdon you auto-lose, venu needs one setup to win the whole game, and if you had one of those two you still has to watch out for Giga drains before switch-in.

In what universe did any of what I just said relate to your post? I don't want an answer. Please just stop.

2 hours ago, gbwead said:

Politoed having no pivoting move is actually something I admit I overlooked. 

For the "Counters". Eh. Tentacruel can be exploited easily by Poliwrath and Seismitoad. Same Tosicroak, and sadly Gastrodon doesn't have the stats to actually stop anything (Altho it does prevent water spam). Slowbro seems very very shaky (Only really works vs Poliwrath). But Slowking seems slightly better. Of all those I say only Mantine is a  reliable answer (Which also feels decently reliable vs potential Sun). I don't think this is nearly enough to stop the entire archetype, but fair enough on the lack of a pivoting move, slowing down the entire rain team.

edit: For some reason I missed Jelli. Either way, I am torn with this one. Poliwrath can abuse it with some sets. Ludicolo murders it. It might stop seismitoad tho.  Either way, and the main reason why I am torn, is because I am fairly sure Jellicent might rise if nothing is made regarding Suicune in OU.

Edited by pachima
11 minutes ago, pachima said:

Politoed having no pivoting move is actually something I admit I overlooked. 

For the "Counters". Eh. Tentacruel can be exploited easily by Poliwrath and Seismitoad. Same Tosicroak, and sadly Gastrodon doesn't have the stats to actually stop anything (Altho it does prevent water spam). Slowbro seems very very shaky (Only really works vs Poliwrath). But Slowking seems slightly better. Of all those I say only Mantine is a  reliable answer (Which also feels decently reliable vs potential Sun). I don't think this is nearly enough to stop the entire archetype, but fair enough on the lack of a pivoting move, slowing down the entire rain team.

edit: For some reason I missed Jelli. Either way, I am torn with this one. Poliwrath can abuse it with some sets. Ludicolo murders it. It might stop seismitoad tho.  Either way, and the main reason why I am torn, is because I am fairly sure Jellicent might rise if nothing is made regarding Suicune in OU.

Gastrodon is also on its way to OU.

Rain is the smallest of our problems, although Crawdaunt spamming crabhammer on rain is Braindead imo. 
We have to worry about sun. It was a problem in past, and now simply the best sun sweeper is avaliable on UU: Venusaur.
Which mon could stop a Venusaur from getting +2 with growth and clicking their coverage to get 2 or One hit KO on half of UU metagaming? 
"Use prioritys to overtake Venusaur on sun" WHICH ONES? Aqua Jet Crawdaunt and Feraligatr, and Mach Punch are the only avaliable and they tickle venusaur. The best priority against venu, avaliable on UU, is the ultrapowerful Quick Attack Guts SWELLOW. And i'm not kidding, this is the best priority we had that actually hits venusaur. Toxicroak Sucker Punch doesn't work because Toxicroak takes dmg on Sun just by existing on field, without receiving a return.

Edited by caioxlive13