OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

Munya

13 minutes ago, pachima said:

Its high, but nothting critical

i never said it was 

14 minutes ago, pachima said:

This is misleading. Weezing can lose to Serperior the same way some Pokemon can lose to a random freeze. You need at least 3 para procs in a row to beat weezing

yeye but that's not 1v1 and like i said previously weezing doesnt have acces to a real heal move it's easy to cheap it 

17 minutes ago, pachima said:

Grass is one of the worse types offensively. If your team can't pressure grass moves to the point of you never speaking of Serperior without boosts, its maybe time to reconsider the entire team.

Why is it always so disgusting to talk to you? This need to be condescending with the one you are talking about repels me. I just give my opinion and this is what you have to say ?  Try to be educated when you talk to others

8 minutes ago, pachima said:

No, its not. And I suggest you to learn how your metronome actually works and to understand how far from the accurate calcs Smogon's calcs with this item are. 

Unless the item is not working as intended, Chansey stops Any non leech Serperior.

This is what you said to awax: "you cannot post such broad terms and hope they stick" 

Can you actually back up your statement? 

The only thing Chansey can do vs Serperior is teleport away, which is better than nothing, but that doesn't stop Serperior. You realise your gimmicks have no business in this discussion thread, right? You Calm Mind Chansey is not relevant. You realise Chansey is 78% of the time Bold, right? You are so insanely wrong about this, I can't even imagine where your mind got lost for you to think Chansey stands a chance vs any Serperior set. 

49 minutes ago, pachima said:

Actually, my bad on a small subject. It is probably also worth noting Taunt leftovers Serperior can, in fact, beat Chansey. I'll give you that one. Just forgot about it cause I didn't see it mentioned.

The question is why move remove to put taunt? This make serperior not broken. He wants glare to help team mates. He want Leech Seed to recover part of LO damage, and heal a little their allies. He wants Giga Drain to heal itself. He wants HP Fire for Scizor, Dragon Pulse for Dragon-types, Taunt for chansey, and their main move Leaf Storm. Serperior wants more than 4 moves, but can only carry 4 moves.

Edited by caioxlive13

Tbh, it's very simple. If Serperior is Sub+Leech Seed, Serperior wins. If Serperior is Sub+Glare, Serperior fishes for para with odds in its favor and wins. If Serperior is not Leech Seed or Glare, Serperior is not Leftovers then, so it wins with Miracle Seed, Life Orb or Metronome. There is just no realistic situation where Chansey switches into Serperior and sits there comfortably.

46 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Tbh, it's very simple. If Serperior is Sub+Leech Seed, Serperior wins. If Serperior is Sub+Glare, Serperior fishes for para with odds in its favor and wins. If Serperior is not Leech Seed or Glare, Serperior is not Leftovers then, so it wins with Miracle Seed, Life Orb or Metronome. There is just no realistic situation where Chansey switches into Serperior and sits there comfortably.

Spamming Leaf Storm, idk if 2hko chansey, but Blissey takes after 2 boosts a easily 2hko, and Soft-boiled coudn't help her.

here I was exactly thinking the same and wondering why nobody spoke about Serperior. Having a blast finally decided actually pushing pokemon pvp now that im set with a bunch of 2x31 pokemons and really enjoying pokemmo. but im hitting a weird wall right now trying to lab teambuild something that can check as many teams as possible. I feel like you already should be having 1 or 2 slots in your team filled with something to check all these weather or rain teams, plus all the other checks and support that you need. Suddenly outta nowhere cute snake turns up and leaf storms you out the arena because you thought nobody used grass moves. You barely have any room left if you also gotta build another pokemon only to check this 3millions pokedollars monster occurance.

Im just ranting here hehe all my favorites were nerfed ;-; Hidden abilities seem though work to balance alright 

Edited by Darkfantaasy

I don't think any new Hidden Ability would be able to check Serperior entirely, but imo the following abilities would help to a small degree indirectly:

• Infiltrator (Chandelure/Crobat/Golbat/Jumpluff/Seviper/Ninjask/Spiritomb)
    Not only would Infiltrator help vs Serperior, it would also help a lot vs a lot of OU mons that have been deemed problematic at one point or another (Garchomp, Hydreigon, Breloom, etc.) Overall, I believe Infiltrator would not solve the Serperior issue, but would help while being a great addition to the tier.

• Sap Sipper (Miltank/Azumarill/Girafarig/Zebstrika/etc.)
    Most of the mons that would gain Sap Sipper do not seem great in OU, but perhaps some of them might become viable thanks to Sap Sipper. It's hard to tell, but it surely wouldn't hurt to have these options vs Serperior even if they might end up as unviable for OU.

• Technician (Breloom)
    Giving more raw power to Breloom's Mach Punch might not mean a lot, but against Serperior the extra dmg could end up as impactful in some situations. Also, if we get Infiltrator, Breloom would take a big hit in viability, so it would be nice if it got new tools as compensation.

• Swift Swim (Armaldo/Beartic)
    One of the most annoying thing about Serperior is how fast and bulky it is. Armaldo Swift Swim could be a good addition for Rain Teams vs Serperior since it would be able to OHKO Serperior, outspeed it with rain and also it would be able to take a Leaf Storm in the face without dying.

• Magic Guard (Alakazam)
    If Alakazam gained Magic Guard, it would definetly become viable in OU and gaining a new mon able to outspeed Serperior would certainly not hurt. Considering there is a chance Alakazam ends up BL2, this could also be its saving grace. The main issue with this addition is that Magic Guard Alakazam might end up as something "too good", so this should require more thoughts.

• Drought (Ninetales) & Drizzle (Politoed)
    Weather teams usually have several mons capable of outspeeding Serperior. Giving those teams more weather set up options could only help.

• Speed Boost (Scolipede/Sharpedo)
    I'm not sure how viable these would be but, gaining new mons capable of outspeeding Serperior would be nice. Pin Missile Scolipede would definetly annoy Serperior if it tries to hide behind a sub.

Ultimately the best ability would most likely be Regenerator since that would make Amoongus extremely viable in OU. However, adding new Regenerator mons would be imo horrible in PokeMMO considering we have a 1 hour time limit for duel and Regenerator mons would open the door for disgusting game exploits. I'm sure other hidden abilities could help vs Serperior, I just listed the ones I think could have a meaningful impact.

Edited by gbwead

Serperior is an outstanding, top tier threat to this meta. It's nearing the top tier for speed and can now spam a stab base 120 power move that results in a +2 sp attack boost, resulting in incredible pressure on the tier.

Outstanding checks are unraveled by coverage moves, namely dragons (Dragon Pulse) and Ferrothorn (HP Fire), and others are too afraid to swap in either because they are top frail or are afraid of paralysis (Glare).

It's forced the tier to trial Choice Scarf mons, which haven't been very good in OU of late, and to use Chansey as a Teleport pivot to a faster RK.

Unfortunately, there is no incentive for Serperior to stay and die, and thus it really can switch and continue to chip the pink blob over time, or catch it with any variation of Taunt, Leech Seed, or Sub. Additionally, Pursuit isn't worth the risk since one mispredict = death.

Thus, we're in a pickle and have to rely on prediction to stop something that is incredibly pressuring. Priority has proven to be our friend but is easily stopped by S-tier mons like Rotom-Wash and Cofagrigus. 

It's at the worst amazing, and arguably an offensive uber. I agree with GB, that we need the next round of HA's to slow this thing down, but what really is that? Unaware Clef? 

In a nutshell, we'll suspect test this thing (I hope). And we'll hope future updates make the game better. 

17 hours ago, gbwead said:

I don't think any new Hidden Ability would be able to check Serperior entirely, but imo the following abilities would help to a small degree indirectly:

• Infiltrator (Chandelure/Crobat/Golbat/Jumpluff/Seviper/Ninjask/Spiritomb)
    Not only would Infiltrator help vs Serperior, it would also help a lot vs a lot of OU mons that have been deemed problematic at one point or another (Garchomp, Hydreigon, Breloom, etc.) Overall, I believe Infiltrator would not solve the Serperior issue, but would help while being a great addition to the tier

Chandelure Infiltrator? Let's respect the Gen 5 programation and give to him Shadow Tag like it was intended on Original games by game freak. Ability are already nerfed, the impact woudn't be high. Also, give back the gengar levitate.

Joking. But Infiltrator chandelure seems a good option for me. This help him to bypass and OHKO certain mons that uses Substitute, or at least force a switch out. Crobat isn't a bad idea, but better not add, because of Golbat. This make toxic stall golbat more stonger since substitute will not be able to block him. Even if they're a small amount, substitute users on UU and any subs users that can have a potential to growth to UU if get their HA, will have trouble vs Golbat if aren't poison or steel-type.

23 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

Why noone mentions Weezing as a hard counter for Serp? Is it really so bad in OU? I'm just curious, genuinely not sure about its viability.

Oh it's quite decent in OU.

The first problem is Weezing is currently played Bold, so it takes a decent amount of dmg on leaf storm. For that reason alone, it can already be a difficult task to keep Weezing healthy. If Weezing is Rocky Helmet instead of Black Sludge, the situation is even worse. Tbh, perhaps SpDef Weezing could be viable. SpDef Weezing was used in the gen 3 metagame as a good check to Venusaur, so it wouldn't be new territory.

The second problem is that Serperior doesn't have to do Leaf Storm when Weezing switches in. If Serperior is Sub/Leech Seed or Sub/Glare, Weezing can be in trouble. I personally use a lot Serperior Metronome and if Weezing switches into Dragon Pulse with any prior dmg or without black sludge, Weezing will lose the 1v1 since Sludge Bomb/Flamwthrower doesn't kill Serperior.

Anyhow, Weezing imo could be considered a very shaky counter and a decent check. However, it would be an exageration imo to consider Weezing as a good counter.

Correct me if I'm wrong here,  but isn't golbat a solid check?  Even defensive could probably switch in on leaf storm, gets access to uturn brave bird, to threaten it, can recover with Roost,  and Heck even gets access to haze. Even without infiltrator it feels like a solid answer. 

+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 108-128 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 51% chance to 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 74-88 (20.9 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Serp suffers from 4mss, no one set can beat everything.  Sub Seed means no glare and only 2 attacks,  if it doesn't have dpulse then dragons can check it(calcs may be needed I'm lazy).  If it's dpulse,  but no hp fire then ferro walls it. If it's 3 attack then golbat, weezing and maybe bliss/chansey (I don't know  the calcs)  can deal with it. 

Also weavile should always be able to revenge with Icicle Spear.  

4 hours ago, Havsha said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here,  but isn't golbat a solid check?  Even defensive could probably switch in on leaf storm, gets access to uturn brave bird, to threaten it, can recover with Roost,  and Heck even gets access to haze. Even without infiltrator it feels like a solid answer. 

+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 108-128 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 51% chance to 3HKO

+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Golbat: 74-88 (20.9 - 24.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Serp suffers from 4mss, no one set can beat everything.  Sub Seed means no glare and only 2 attacks,  if it doesn't have dpulse then dragons can check it(calcs may be needed I'm lazy).  If it's dpulse,  but no hp fire then ferro walls it. If it's 3 attack then golbat, weezing and maybe bliss/chansey (I don't know  the calcs)  can deal with it. 

Also weavile should always be able to revenge with Icicle Spear.  

Ok so I'll go through multiple sets to see how each deals with Golbat. For the record, I don't think haze helps Golbat at all since Golbat is slower.

Leaf Storm/Hidden Power/Substitute/Leech Seed

If Golbat switches into a Serperior doing Sub, Golbat will have to deal with Leech Seed while Serperior hides behind a Substitute. On top of that, Golbat doesn't have Leftovers recovery and will take recoil from brave bird or will risk miss potential with heat wave. In both cases, Serperior is not really in a bad position. If someone wants to test this scenario, I'm available but don't have the mons.

Leaf Storm/Hidden Power/Substitute/Glare

This is most likely the best Sub Serperior for Golbat to face. Sub+Glare will still be a big pain. We are talking about 5 substitute that Golbat will have to break. That's a lot of potential para, a lot of recoil dmg (brave bird) and a lot of miss potential (heat wave).

Oh and before someone says something idiotic like relying on a para is the same as fishing for a freeze, I want to make sure people understand there is a huge difference between freezing a target (10% with Ice Beam) and paralysing a target (100% with Glare). Those odds are significantly different, so please let's not waste our time with these terrible arguments.

5 subs = 6 chances at 25% each of getting paralysed

The odds of hitting 6 Brave Bird in a row without getting paralysed once is 18%. I know that getting paralysed doesn't mean Golbat will automatically die, but it means Serperior gets more Leftovers recovery which means potentially more subs and more recoil dmg. It also means Serperior gets to hit twice instead of only once which will add even more pressure on Golbat.

Leaf Storm/Substitute/Leech Seed/Glare

This is the annoyer set so it's not really a big sweeper, but it's a complete nightmare for Golbat. Based on the scenarios described above.

Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power/Glare

I personally only have 1 Serperior and run this set with metronome. Metronome Dragon Pulse does very decent dmg to Golbat. If I remember correctly, Leaf Storm + Dragon Pulse + Brave Bird Recoil + Dragon Pulse Metronme will kill Golbat. I realise Metronome is not common on Serperior, but I think this shows how even the worst possible set can deal fairly well with Golbat.

I'm assuming the most common Golbat is a physical wall since Golbat niche is mainly as a Garchomp/Scizor/Conkeldur answer. Some of these scenarios change if Golbat is spdef, but just like Weezing it's hard to tell if it SpDef Golbat will be viable.

Edit: I somehow missed the fact that you mentionned u-turn. That's a pretty good option and I have recentlt seen more Golbat running u-turn than before, so that's probably the reason. Slow u-turn breaking the sub and allowing you to revenge kill with anything you want is really ideal against Serperior. It's basically a better version of Chansey Teleport. 

Edited by gbwead
23 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Leaf Storm/Hidden Power/Substitute/Leech Seed

If Golbat switches into a Serperior doing Sub, Golbat will have to deal with Leech Seed while Serperior hides behind a Substitute. On top of that, Golbat doesn't have Leftovers recovery and will take recoil from brave bird or will risk miss potential with heat wave. In both cases, Serperior is not really in a bad position. If someone wants to test this scenario, I'm available but don't have the mons.

Couldn't bat slow U-turn (breaking sub) and go to a scarfer/offensive mon that forces Serp out?

Leaf Storm/Hidden Power/Substitute/Glare

This is most likely the best Sub Serperior for Golbat to face. Sub+Glare will still be a big pain. We are talking about 5 substitute that Golbat will have to break. That's a lot of potential para, a lot of recoil dmg (brave bird) and a lot of miss potential (heat wave).

Oh and before someone says something idiotic like relying on a para is the same as fishing for a freeze, I want to make sure people understand there is a huge difference between freezing a target (10% with Ice Beam) and paralysing a target (100% with Glare). Those odds are significantly different, so please let's not waste our time with these terrible arguments.

Para is annoying true, id need to see that getting one or two paras is enough to beat golbat since youre boosting, seeing as at +6 its still only a chance to 2hit bat

+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 153-181 (43.3 - 51.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

and again, slow u-turn can just break the sub and you can go to a scarfer/offesnive mon that forces Serp out

Leaf Storm/Substitute/Leech Seed/Glare

This is the annoyer set so it's not really a big sweeper, but it's a complete nightmare for Golbat. Based on the scenarios described above.

this would lose to golbat tbh, serp would run out of leaf storms unless you get some unlucky paras.

Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power/Glare

I personally only have 1 Serperior and run this set with metronome. Metronome Dragon Pulse does very decent dmg to Golbat. If I remember correctly, Leaf Storm + Dragon Pulse + Brave Bird Recoil + Dragon Pulse Metronme will kill Golbat. I realise Metronome is not common on Serperior, but I think this shows how even the worst possible set can deal fairly well with Golbat.

I dont know how to calc for metronome, but this should still lose unless you get lucky paras

+6 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 217-256 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- not a KO

Really, the more I think about it the more I feel like golbat is an answer, slow uturn can break sub and get in a more advantageous mon to deal with serp, it can roost up to do so multiple times, and really the only way it loses vs serp is paras, but thats the case for any para'd mon vs any other non para'd mon.

0 Atk Golbat U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 25.5% chance to 3HKO (Uturn always breaks substitute)

Edited by Havsha
10 minutes ago, Havsha said:

Couldn't bat slow U-turn (breaking sub) and go to a scarfer/offensive mon that forces Serp out?

Para is annoying true, id need to see that getting one or two paras is enough to beat golbat since youre boosting, seeing as at +6 its still only a chance to 2hit bat

+6 252 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 153-181 (43.3 - 51.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

and again, slow u-turn can just break the sub and you can go to a scarfer/offesnive mon that forces Serp out

this would lose to golbat tbh, serp would run out of leaf storms unless you get some unlucky paras.

I dont know how to calc for metronome, but this should still lose unless you get lucky paras

+6 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 217-256 (61.4 - 72.5%) -- not a KO

Really, the more I think about it the more I feel like golbat is an answer, slow uturn can break sub and get in a more advantageous mon to deal with serp, it can roost up to do so multiple times, and really the only way it loses vs serp is paras, but thats the case for any para'd mon vs any other non para'd mon.

0 Atk Golbat U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 25.5% chance to 3HKO (Uturn always breaks substitute)

Ya I missed u-urn and edited my post already, so you are correct for that.

I see a lot of your calcs with Serperior at +6. I don't think there is any situation where Serperior chooses to go at +6. +2 is very decent dmg already.

Edit: For the meronome calcs, this is what happens:

Turn 1: Golbat switches into Leaftorm
252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 16-19 (8.7 - 10.4%) -- not a KO

Turn 2: Serperior does Dragon Pulse & Golbat does Brave Bird
+2 252 SpA Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 56-67 (30.7 - 36.8%) -- not a KO

Brave Bird 71.5 - 84.7% (19.5 - 23.2% recoil damage)

Turn 3: Serperior does Dragon Pulse (Metronome Boosted here)

+2 252 SpA Metronome Serperior Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Golbat: 67-80 (36.8 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Assuming only min rolls, the total amount of dmg that Golbat takes would be: 

8.7% + 30.7% + 19.5% + 36.8% = 95.7%

Assuming only max rolls, the total amount of dmgthat Golbat takes would be:

10.4% + 36.8% + 23.2% + 43.9% = 114.3

On average, we get 105% dmg on Golbat after 3 turns, so the odds are in Serperior's favor in that scenario. Doing Roost doesn't work since Metronome will just Serperior more and more. U-turn would be the only option.

Edited by gbwead
On 8/22/2022 at 10:28 PM, gbwead said:

• Sap Sipper (Miltank/Azumarill/Girafarig/Zebstrika/etc.)
    Most of the mons that would gain Sap Sipper do not seem great in OU, but perhaps some of them might become viable thanks to Sap Sipper. It's hard to tell, but it surely wouldn't hurt to have these options vs Serperior even if they might end up as unviable for OU.

Personally, if these pokemon would be played just to be serpereor control and not serve the rest of the meta, it just makes me understand how centralizing serpereor is.

Edited by Huargensy
9 hours ago, gbwead said:

Oh it's quite decent in OU.

The first problem is Weezing is currently played Bold, so it takes a decent amount of dmg on leaf storm. For that reason alone, it can already be a difficult task to keep Weezing healthy. If Weezing is Rocky Helmet instead of Black Sludge, the situation is even worse. Tbh, perhaps SpDef Weezing could be viable. SpDef Weezing was used in the gen 3 metagame as a good check to Venusaur, so it wouldn't be new territory.

The second problem is that Serperior doesn't have to do Leaf Storm when Weezing switches in. If Serperior is Sub/Leech Seed or Sub/Glare, Weezing can be in trouble. I personally use a lot Serperior Metronome and if Weezing switches into Dragon Pulse with any prior dmg or without black sludge, Weezing will lose the 1v1 since Sludge Bomb/Flamwthrower doesn't kill Serperior.

Anyhow, Weezing imo could be considered a very shaky counter and a decent check. However, it would be an exageration imo to consider Weezing as a good counter.

biggest problem of weezing is Weezing take huge amount of dmg to Serperior, but he can't invest Sp. Def. He need maximum Def than possible to take hits of Conkeldurr and Mienshao.

• 2 weeks later...

How does the evasion clause work exactly? I thought evasion moves didn’t have any effect?

I was in a match a few days ago where I switched into Serperior while my opponent used defog on their Rotom-Wash. Since I have contrary my evasion was increased & I was able to dodge an Ice Beam while having a substitute up. 

Shouldn’t that have been impossible with an evasion clause? 

43 minutes ago, azuloon said:

How does the evasion clause work exactly? I thought evasion moves didn’t have any effect?

I was in a match a few days ago where I switched into Serperior while my opponent used defog on their Rotom-Wash. Since I have contrary my evasion was increased & I was able to dodge an Ice Beam while having a substitute up. 

Shouldn’t that have been impossible with an evasion clause? 

no evasion clause states that moves which raise evasion will have no effect. 

1 minute ago, Requi said:

no evasion clause states that moves which raise evasion will have no effect. 

So then why did an ice beam miss my serp after my opponent used defog? Since ice beam has 100% accuracy it would've hit if my evasion wasn't raised a stage, right? 

2 minutes ago, azuloon said:

So then why did an ice beam miss my serp after my opponent used defog? Since ice beam has 100% accuracy it would've hit if my evasion wasn't raised a stage, right? 

Because your evasion was raised. Defog does not inherently increase evasion so it does not count towards the evasion clause because contrary is the reason for it getting a boost.

There could be an arguement that it shouldn't give you +1 evasion because getting an evasion boost makes the game more rng but its completely up to your opponent and can be used as a punish to care free defog attempts.

15 minutes ago, Requi said:

Because your evasion was raised. Defog does not inherently increase evasion so it does not count towards the evasion clause because contrary is the reason for it getting a boost.

There could be an arguement that it shouldn't give you +1 evasion because getting an evasion boost makes the game more rng but its completely up to your opponent and can be used as a punish to care free defog attempts.

Thank you for clarifying I appreciate it