Empoleon Gen 9 DLC Changes

10 hours ago, RenDude said:

No one talking about shell smash torterra lmao

It's a cool addition but I doubt it will get much usage outside of NU. Competitive Empoleon (which additionally will get Vacuum Wave) is a groundbreaking change that can skyrocket Emp to OU again.

The most relevant moveset changes in the DLC *for singles* (Saw Orange and remembered DUBS exist) imo are on the following mons

Ninetales > Healing Wish, Baton Pass   (Baton Pass as a pure momentum option in our UU could be amazing, also can't be pursuited)
Gligar > Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Crabhammer, Crunch, All Fangs 
& Gliscor
> Toxic Spikes, Crabhammer, Crunch (already had the rest)
Shiftry > Taunt, Toxic Spikes, Vacuum Wave, Weather Ball, Will-O-Wisp
Empoleon > Vacuum Wave, Air Slash, Haze
Infernape > Aura Sphere, Switcheroo, Zen Headbutt
Torterra > Shell Smash, Rock Blast, Zen Headbutt

+ Plenty of things get Weather Ball (most notably Dragonite/Lilligant) & Knock Off (most notably Skuntank/TTar)

Doubt any tier changes will occur, we'll possibly see Gligar back in UnderUsed 👍 Clearly these changes are far from what we got with Legends

Edited by TohnR
41 minutes ago, TohnR said:

+ Plenty of things get Weather Ball (most notably Dragonite/Lilligant) & Knock Off (most notably Skuntank/TTar)

Doubt any tier changes will occur, we'll possibly see Gligar back in UnderUsed 👍 Clearly these changes are far from what we got with Legends

Knock off is back as a TM. Also, is irrelevant here, since it's Gen 4 knock off. Unless you're using on some mon that doesn't care to do direct dmg, like Ferrothorn, a mon getting knock off is pretty irrelevant

10 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Knock off is back as a TM. Also, is irrelevant here, since it's Gen 4 knock off. Unless you're using on some mon that doesn't care to do direct dmg, like Ferrothorn, a mon getting knock off is pretty irrelevant

That's why I mentionned mons who have supporting sets 😉 It's not irrelevant at all I've been using Knock Off on multiple mons, and Skuntank would definitely be a good user

10 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

This comment is a prime example of why you should not be allowed to post on any of the competitive forum threads.

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

If you don't think Knock Off's item removing effect isn't relevant even with lower power then I don't think you have played or watched a lot of high level competitive play.

Knock off's dmg is mediocre here, that makes it the same level as Trick/Switcheroo. If was buffed Knock Off would be huge, tytar would love it for example, because it could spam it freely. But now, unless mon is running defensive/support sets, so they doesn't care to direct dmg, they will make no use of it. For much offensive mons its not worthy spend a full slot just for item removal over a possible boosting move, if was Gengar with Trick + Nasty Plot would be top used set of Gengar in the past. Now some defensive that gets it can make use of it, for example Skuntank.

I'm also on doubt about Empoleon with Competitive, the main topic of this thread. Ok, competitive boosts their Sp Atk if you get a drop on status, but i see no use on singles for it, unless the same use as Serperior Contrary, to hard switch on defog for the boost, that also is a bad idea because Empoleon can't switch on top deffoger of tier, Rotom-W.

Now for doubles, given the abundance of status dropping due to speed control, and intimidates, Empoleon has a lot of potential to be explored.

Edited by caioxlive13
14 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Knock off's dmg is mediocre here, that makes it the same level as Trick/Switcheroo. If was buffed Knock Off would be huge, tytar would love it for example, because it could spam it freely. But now, unless mon is running defensive/support sets, so they doesn't care to direct dmg, they will make no use of it. For much offensive mons its not worthy spend a full slot just for item removal over a possible boosting move, if was Gengar with Trick + Nasty Plot would be top used set of Gengar in the past. Now some defensive that gets it can make use of it, for example Skuntank.

I'm also on doubt about Empoleon with Competitive, the main topic of this thread. Ok, competitive boosts their Sp Atk if you get a drop on status, but i see no use on singles for it, unless the same use as Serperior Contrary, to hard switch on defog for the boost, that also is a bad idea because Empoleon can't switch on top deffoger of tier, Rotom-W.

Now for doubles, given the abundance of status dropping due to speed control, and intimidates, Empoleon has a lot of potential to be explored.

resume:

play knock off on toxic orb gliscor , play knock off in suicune leftovers, any assault vest user or eviolite user, and not all mons have trick in the game.

and u can't think lc players with knock off? lol.

16 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

????

Also caio though

16 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

... bro.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, caioxlive13 said:

??? XD

1 hour ago, xMago said:

play knock off on toxic orb gliscor , play knock off in suicune leftovers, any assault vest user or eviolite user, and not all mons have trick in the game.

Yea, but on Toxic Orb gliscor you risk getting toxic'ed or giving him a free SD, also if you let him 1 turn it's over. Suicune you fear scald, Eviolite user are tanks and they would either use TRoom(Porygon2) or status you. He can abuse from the time you gave him.

14 minutes ago, caioxlive13 said:

Yea, but on Toxic Orb gliscor you risk getting toxic'ed or giving him a free SD, also if you let him 1 turn it's over. Suicune you fear scald, Eviolite user are tanks and they would either use TRoom(Porygon2) or status you. He can abuse from the time you gave him.

for gliscor u have +5 mons too
fear to burn with a support knock off? bro....

normaly knock off user is mienshao av in ou or so many mons in low tiers and u do free knock off to so many mons easy, what problem with status in shao for example when u join and left each time with regen? why fear to scald if u only need delete leftovers to suicune?

and i not received any answered for lc games.

knock off is god, nothing more to say

Guys, seriously... just stop responding to him, block him or w/e. This has been ongoing for around 2 years and he still has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and keeps derailing threads with posts similar to those in this thread.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:41 PM, TohnR said:

Ninetales > Healing Wish, Baton Pass   (Baton Pass as a pure momentum option in our UU could be amazing, also can't be pursuited)

I didn't even notice, and both of those changes look just amazing. Both Healing Wish and Baton pass on a  support pokemon are great and Ninetales has enough utility to compete with Torkoal which can set rocks + spin. With Ninetales being able to both dry-pass, pass subs or healing wish a heavily damaged sweeper, it has gained massive utility. I don't think it will skyrocket Ninetales to OU instantly, but that change is really, really big and hopefully it will impact the mon's utility and usage on a large scale.

Edited by RysPicz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.