OU Tier Discussion Request Thread

Munya

1 hour ago, n0etics said:

While I realize we're on Gen 9 movesets, I humbly request that Levitate be put back on Gengar. We have plenty of checks to it now, unlike before, and he would be far from the most broken mon given the current meta. Thanks for your consideration, oh wise council

Levitate Gengar was never broken, in fact many are concerned Cursed Body is more detrimental to competitive play. Regardless, this was an update to the modern meta which as most know, is the aim of the development team. Levitate won't be coming back.

Make Regenerator Obtainable for Tangrowth

Why tangrowth regenerator is healthy for the meta
Players would typically complain about the problem that exists within the ability of regenerator. Although this is common knowledge, it is often hailed as a trademark for stall or regen stall; However, regenerator mons are not limited to stall archetypes as defensive walls such as Assault vest tangrowth complements and forms a more reliable defensive cores in the metagame. There has been a lack of reliable counters for Specs draco hydreigon. The checks are limited to faster offensive threats like weavile and AV Mienshao (Limited to specs hydreigon), and priority users such as conkeldurr, breloom and weavile. AV Tangrowth would also serve as a reliable check for recover+ 3 attacks Life Orb or sash Alakazam once added into the game; Although it is not a reliable answer for Nasty plot Alakazam.

Regenerator is a problem for the meta!

Regenerator Pokemons is typically not an issue, nor is it centralizing. Offensive cores in hyper offense or bulky offense that consist of volt turn such as Banded scizor or sd scizor with hydreigon or rotom wash forces out tangrowth to switch into something such as garchomp to chip Scizor with rough skin+helm, or skarmory which then allows rotom wash to come back in again. There are several other answers such as Volcarona, Weavile, Mamoswine, infernape, nidoking, gengar and togekiss. Hazard stacking teams with hazard removals such tentacruel with tspikes would also pressure tangrowth or limit the opportunities for it to come in prior to the removal of hazards or force it to take the status. Amoonguss also exists in defensive cores which therefore, eventually forces tangrowth with sludge bomb. 

Consider adding Magic Guard to Alakazam (Questionable)

Why Alakazam could be a good addition to the metagame

The issue with alakazam is its ability to create progress and wear down the opposing defensive cores or offensive cores that serve as a check to alakazam for its offensive core such as Alakazam+Magnezone+Weavile. This trio threatens the following defensive cores: amoonguss, Suicune, garchomp and Offensive cores such as Scizor+Magnezone+Hydreigon or dragonite. However, this core's offensive capabilities are often hindered by Volcarona, Weavile with icicle spear to threaten both sets. 

How can Alakazam pose a threat to the Current Metagame and what are its possible checks and counters?

Along with one of the possible offensive cores mentioned above, Alakazam can run numerous sets such as Nasty plot+3 attacks or 2 attacks with recover, or focus sash with counter to deal with weavile, dragonite, and uturning or pursuiting or bullet punch scizor. Nasty plot would then limit the overall answers to faster threats such as Weavile, Scarf Gengar, Banded scizor, scarf hydreigon. Scarf hydreigon and sash breloom in hyper offensive would also serve as a check for focus sash sets. Weather offensive cores would also pose an issue for alakazam.

Calcs Provided below

Spoiler

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 152-179 (73.4 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 244 HP / 208+ SpD Gliscor: 187-220 (103.3 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 235-278 (65.8 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 220-259 (133.3 - 156.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor: 152-179 (85.8 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Edited by Insou
25 minutes ago, Insou said:

Players would typically complain about the problem that exists within the ability of regenerator. Although this is common knowledge, it is often hailed as a trademark for stall or regen stall; However, regenerator mons are not limited to stall archetypes as defensive walls such as Assault vest tangrowth complements and forms a more reliable defensive cores in the metagame. There has been a lack of reliable counters for Specs draco hydreigon. The checks are limited to faster offensive threats like weavile and AV Mienshao (Limited to specs hydreigon), and priority users such as conkeldurr, breloom and weavile. AV Tangrowth would also serve as a reliable check for recover+ 3 attacks Life Orb or sash Alakazam once added into the game; Although it is not a reliable answer for Nasty plot Alakazam.

Regenerator Pokemons is typically not an issue, nor is it centralizing. Offensive cores in hyper offense or bulky offense that consist of volt turn such as Banded scizor or sd scizor with hydreigon or rotom wash forces out tangrowth to switch into something such as garchomp to chip Scizor with rough skin+helm, or skarmory which then allows rotom wash to come back in again. There are several other answers such as Volcarona, Weavile, Mamoswine, infernape, and togekiss. Hazard stacking teams with hazard removals such tentacruel with tspikes would also pressure tangrowth or limit the opportunities for it to come in prior to the removal of hazards or force it to take the status. Amoonguss also exists in defensive cores which therefore, eventually forces tangrowth with sludge bomb. 

The issue with alakazam is its ability to create progress and wear down the opposing defensive cores or offensive cores that serve as a check to alakazam for its offensive core such as Alakazam+Magnezone+Weavile. This trio threathens the following defensive cores: amoonguss, Suicune, garchomp and Offensive cores such as Scizor+Magnezone+Hydreigon or dragonite. However, this core's offensive capabilities are often hindered by Volcarona, Weavile with icicle spear to threaten both sets. 

How can Alakazam pose a threat to the Current Metagame and what are its possible checks and counters?

Along with one of the possible offensive cores mentioned above, Alakazam can run numerous sets such as Nasty plot+3 attacks or 2 attacks with recover, or focus sash with counter to deal with weavile, dragonite, and uturning or pursuiting or bullet punch scizor. Nasty plot would then limit the overall answers to faster threats such as weavile, Banded scizor, scarf hydreigon. Scarf hydreigon and sash breloom in hyper offensive would also serve as a check for focus sash sets. Weather offensive cores would also pose an issue for alakazam.

Calcs Provided below

Reveal hidden contents

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 152-179 (73.4 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psychic vs. 244 HP / 208+ SpD Gliscor: 187-220 (103.3 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 235-278 (65.8 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 220-259 (133.3 - 156.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Scizor: 152-179 (85.8 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

People often complain about Regens because stall regen can be dangerous when the limit of time on matches is so low, and unfortunately is the case of MMO. It doesn't need to stall for 1000 turns like on smogon games. It just need to stall for around 100~150 turns, until reach the 1 hour time limit, and win on tiebreaks. With the tools we have now, the only thing able to stop the 1h stall teams from dominating everything is Gallade, as it alone can check the 3 mons with regen abilitys(Regen Abilitys = Poison Heal and Regenerator). Isn't without reason, stall became a lot more popular once it gets banned, and everything returned to normal once he gets reintroduced. The problem against stall is the difficulty of making any progress on what cares the most on tiebreaks that is HP. With Regen, the task is even more harder. And with the timer, you can't do enough progress to win on tiebreaks, on the time provided especially because unlike smogon, you can't skip move animations and this consume time.

tl;dr: The problem with regen and regen stalls, is not they're impossible to beat. The problem is, on ladder and on tours you can't beat them because of the f*** timer. You can't make progress needed to beat those type of teams, until timer runs out. On tours like PSL, World Cup, TCL, etc... they can welcome well because they don't play with match timer anyway, but for ladder that really matters there, this addition is not welcome.

Edited by caioxlive13

Until we find a healthy balance between offense and defense in the metagame (e.g. Bringing back potential stuff like Swords Dance Garchomp, more legendaries, etc) and also not dropping overpowered stuff like Lucario in the past (UU) and recently Medicham (NU), I'll be against adding more regenerator mons in the near future.

People need to remember that this meta isn't complete and works completely different to Showdown.

1 hour ago, Insou said:

Regenerator Pokemons is typically not an issue, nor is it centralizing. Offensive cores in hyper offense or bulky offense that consist of volt turn such as Banded scizor or sd scizor with hydreigon or rotom wash forces out tangrowth to switch into something such as garchomp to chip Scizor with rough skin+helm, or skarmory which then allows rotom wash to come back in again. There are several other answers such as Volcarona, Weavile, Mamoswine, infernape, nidoking, gengar and togekiss. Hazard stacking teams with hazard removals such tentacruel with tspikes would also pressure tangrowth or limit the opportunities for it to come in prior to the removal of hazards or force it to take the status. Amoonguss also exists in defensive cores which therefore, eventually forces tangrowth with sludge bomb. 

The issue with alakazam is its ability to create progress and wear down the opposing defensive cores or offensive cores that serve as a check to alakazam for its offensive core such as Alakazam+Magnezone+Weavile. This trio threatens the following defensive cores: amoonguss, Suicune, garchomp and Offensive cores such as Scizor+Magnezone+Hydreigon or dragonite. However, this core's offensive capabilities are often hindered by Volcarona, Weavile with icicle spear to threaten both sets. 

Along with one of the possible offensive cores mentioned above, Alakazam can run numerous sets such as Nasty plot+3 attacks or 2 attacks with recover, or focus sash with counter to deal with weavile, dragonite, and uturning or pursuiting or bullet punch scizor. Nasty plot would then limit the overall answers to faster threats such as Weavile, Scarf Gengar, Banded scizor, scarf hydreigon. Scarf hydreigon and sash breloom in hyper offensive would also serve as a check for focus sash sets. Weather offensive cores would also pose an issue for alakazam.

Calcs Provided below

Reveal hidden contents

I also believe we should add regen Alomomola and Slowpoke family, Jirachi for sure as well. If meta would turn out not cancerous enough, we should also think about adding Lando-T

Just now, RysPicz said:

I also believe we should add regen Alomomola and Slowpoke family, Jirachi for sure as well. If meta would turn out not cancerous enough, we should also think about adding Lando-T

Landorus therian shouldn't be an issue either in the near future. Although, there are currently plenty of answers ranging from weavile, rotom wash, gastrodon, Ice punch conkeldurr, +1 qd volcarona with either fire blast or hp ice and the list goes on. Slowbro is the same case as tangrowth, there's plenty of answers available. Despite Knock off being nerfed, there is still breloom, serperior, volcarona, band tyrannitar, and volt turn cores to deal with it.  

3 minutes ago, Insou said:

Landorus therian shouldn't be an issue either in the near future. Although, there are currently plenty of answers ranging from weavile, rotom wash, gastrodon, Ice punch conkeldurr, +1 qd volcarona with either fire blast or hp ice and the list goes on. Slowbro is the same case as tangrowth, there's plenty of answers available. Despite Knock off being nerfed, there is still breloom, serperior, volcarona, band tyrannitar, and volt turn cores to deal with it.  

I don't believe what I'm reading

58 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Until we find a healthy balance between offense and defense in the metagame (e.g. Bringing back potential stuff like Swords Dance Garchomp, more legendaries, etc) and also not dropping overpowered stuff like Lucario in the past (UU) and recently Medicham (NU), I'll be against adding more regenerator mons in the near future.

People need to remember that this meta isn't complete and works completely different to Showdown.

I don't think you read the main reasoning of my post, There's already plenty of answers for tangrowth and other regen mons such as slowbro to be added into the game. The metagame does not have to mirror ORAS OU without megas for tangrowth to be a healthy addition. 

2 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

I don't believe what I'm reading

What part is hard to understand 🙂. But you're free to have your own opinions regardless if its logical or not. I don't know why you're so against the modernization of the metagame.

Edited by Insou
20 minutes ago, Insou said:

What part is hard to understand 🙂. But you're free to have your own opinions regardless if its logical or not. I don't know why you're so against the modernization of the metagame.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am totally up for changes in our metagame, but starting those changes with implementation of pokemons which can (and most likely will) break our entire metagame in half, popularizing already very dominant and viable stall, which the majority of competitive playerbase does not want. I would rather see legendary birbs (although Zapdos could be a bit too much), regis, maybe swords of justice (Terrakion <3), some other hidden abilities such as Magic Guard Alakazam implemented first, rather than seeing an hour long matches in OU with regen cores stalling each other to death.

27 minutes ago, Insou said:

Lando-T WILL be an issue, should it ever be implemented. I love Lando, I used it ever since it came out, I had it on pretty much every OU team (which wasn't a meme) in every generation it was available, but I can recognize a potentially broken/ unhealthy pokemon. We are talking about a mon which due to it's viability and because of how splashable it is, can potentially reach 100% usage like Snorlax in Gen2. Do you really wish to watch every OU battle with Lando-T in it?

All the potential "answers" for Landorus which you have listed are nothing short of absurd and every competitive player will agree with this. Landorus can carry a move which destroys every of the pokemons you mentioned, none of them is a switch-in (maybe Bold Gastrodon, but that's about it), mentioning that +1 quiver dance volcarona is an answer to Landorus is funny at best... I can't comprehend how can you list Tyranitar as an answer. Landorus should never see daylight in PokeMMO (and my heart really hurts as I was typing that).

Lando is a pokemon which can do everything. Scarf, band, SD, mixed, rock polish, defensive, gravity life orb sweeper, pivot, (suicide) lead, double dance, special (!). And hell knows what else, because our metagame would give Landorus everything best it ever received, maybe aside from Z-moves. 

1 hour ago, Imperial said:

couldn't agree less. 

However i have my concerns about those regen stuff even if we added those things you mentioned. 
My main concern is the timer rule, again, the problem with regen is that make easier to stall until the time limit, and the timer limit shouldn't be, but is being abused for staller players. In other words, it became a wincon for them. Adding more broken regens such as Alomomola and Slowbro would let they abuse far more easily of the rule(And slowbro would be abused only by stall players because Future + TP is broken and it would take a nerf quickly once it gets added, this is 100% sure, and without TP + Future the niche of slowbro on BO is destroyed.)

Edited by caioxlive13
On 10/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, Insou said:

I don't think you understand how regen works, and why is it such an already centralizing ability despite being in two Pokemon that are much worse at abusing it than any of the ones you mentioned here.

You also say there are plenty of answers available, but you fail to take it into context. How often are regen Pokemon able to pressure the opposing team after shifting momentum? Very very very often, since they mostly don't even need to waste a turn recovering due to the ability. Now. How often do any of those "answers" is able to control that pressure? Not often. Breloom can't even come in at all in Slowbro, and Technician sets actually lose to Tangrowth. Serperior is worned down quickly by any of them. Volcarona has hazards to care about, and can't really come in on Slowbro.  Band Ttar outright loses to Tangrowth and doesn't really want to face Slowbro, because it either risks a Scald Burn, it is worned down by Rocky Helmet, and can't regain any of that HP, while Slowbro will easily regain back any HP later in the match. Volt-Turn cores do absolutely nothing, since Regen pretty much mitigates the damage taken from those.

The problem is you consider Regen as an individual threat. It is not. Regen cores will outgrind the opposing team by shifting momentum, damaging all at once, while regaining back its HP by simply switching out, and none of the answers you gave helps in that regard whatsoever.

Edited by pachima
12 hours ago, pachima said:

I don't think you understand how regen works, and why is it such an already centralizing ability despite being in two Pokemon that are much worse at abusing it than any of the ones you mentioned here.

You also say there are plenty of answers available, but you fail to take it into context. How often are regen Pokemon able to pressure the opposing team after shifting momentum? Very very very often, since they mostly don't even need to waste a turn recovering due to the ability. Now. How often do any of those "answers" is able to control that pressure? Not often. Breloom can't even come in at all in Slowbro, and Technician sets actually lose to Tangrowth. Serperior is worned down quickly by any of them. Volcarona has hazards to care about, and can't really come in on Slowbro.  Band Ttar outright loses to Tangrowth and doesn't really want to face Slowbro, because it either risks a Scald Burn, it is worned down by Rocky Helmet, and can't regain any of that HP, while Slowbro will easily regain back any HP later in the match. Volt-Turn cores do absolutely nothing, since Regen pretty much mitigates the damage taken from those.

The problem is you consider Regen as an individual threat. It is not. Regen cores will outgrind the opposing team by shifting momentum, damaging all at once, while regaining back its HP by simply switching out, and none of the answers you gave helps in that regard whatsoever.

Jesus I seriously cannot tell whether you are trolling or not. I'd really rather not continue the discussion so uh feel free to disregard my suggestion 🙂

Edited by Insou
11 hours ago, Insou said:

Jesus I seriously cannot tell whether you are trolling or not. I'd really rather not continue the discussion so uh feel free to disregard my suggestion 🙂

Please let us know your thoughts, how else would we discuss any of potential changes if you'd just rather accuse us of trolling and not continue the discussion? 

On 11/1/2023 at 9:12 AM, pachima said:

I pretty much agree. Regen's problem can by pivoting out, slowly denying any progress make by the opponent. And the healing comes by switching out, and you had no way to prevent switching. Pursuit can be evaded by slow pivoting if they predict right, trapping is anti-competitive so Shadow Tag is nerfed there, dugtrio i don't f*** know why are not, and no regen is Steel type to be trapped by Magnet Pull. They will switch during the match a lot for more comfortable matchups and heal for free.

If you still manage to survive for 60 minutes, that is the time limit, bad news for you: the 2 main tiebreak criteria(N° of mons left and sum of the HP% of the left mons) is favorable to regen stall. The main problem is you can't make progress and even if your team can beat the opposing regen core, you has to win in 100~120 turns, otherwise you lose on tiebreaks. You need to win fast against them, but it's almost impossible to do so if opponent plays well.

Edited by caioxlive13
On 11/6/2023 at 9:03 PM, RysPicz said:

691ce24a20a7f007caeedc35f0aa7013.png

I promised you I'll come back, you are officially a door

Let me remind you that those legendarys are limited and by so they aren't spammed because a lot of players doesn't have acess to them. Suicune is overpowered as f***, yup he was still below 7% usage on past months