Hard encounter cap for Suicune

RysPicz

Question

To put it short:

Making Suicune a guaranteed encounter after a set amount of encounters in Johto (I dunno, 10-15k sounds reliable but I think this is a separate discussion). There are people who are hunting the doggo ever since it appeared in the game and they still haven't encountered it. Setting a hard cap sure has it's downsides (people can shiny hunt it more conveniently by counting the encounters and then turn on donator + shiny charm, for example), but it also causes us to get rewarded for persistence, patience and hours sacrificed, instead of counting just on blind luck.

What do you guys think?

23 answers to this question

1 hour ago, RysPicz said:

To put it short:

Making Suicune a guaranteed encounter after a set amount of encounters in Johto (I dunno, 10-15k sounds reliable but I think this is a separate discussion). There are people who are hunting the doggo ever since it appeared in the game and they still haven't encountered it. Setting a hard cap sure has it's downsides (people can shiny hunt it more conveniently by counting the encounters and then turn on donator + shiny charm, for example), but it also causes us to get rewarded for persistence, patience and hours sacrificed, instead of counting just on blind luck.

What do you guys think?

A hard cap would make more sense if suicune was untradeable (since there wouldnt be any other way to get it)

I think they should add more options to access suicune while still maintaining the "one OT suicune per account". (many ways to get it but once get one you cant get anymore suicunes from the game - you can get more suicunes from other players but not from the game)

They could add none shiny 15iv suicune as a one time purchase option from the bp shop for the bp equivalent to whatever its worth on the gtl rn.

21 hours ago, Mooskauer said:

Don't like the idea. It would be like "Give people a guaranteed shiny encounter after 10-15k bcs they are hunting it so hard" 

I'm not sure if you realize how ridiculous this comparison is.

Shiny is just few, oddly coloured pixels and in competitive environment it makes no difference. Limiting a player from getting a very viable, competitively relevant pokemon due to sheer luck is just idiotic. This is whole new species, albeit legendary.

21 hours ago, BrokenJoker said:

A hard cap would make more sense if suicune was untradeable (since there wouldnt be any other way to get it)

That makes even less sense. Untradeable Suicune...? I know you guys are looking at this from PvE perspective, but untradeable Suicunes would make comp scene even more atrocious than it is right now.

21 hours ago, BrokenJoker said:

I think they should add more options to access suicune while still maintaining the "one OT suicune per account". (many ways to get it but once get one you cant get anymore suicunes from the game - you can get more suicunes from other players but not from the game)

They could add none shiny 15iv suicune as a one time purchase option from the bp shop for the bp equivalent to whatever its worth on the gtl rn.

Looks like they did, 1 Suicune per 3 months cycle, but the problem is the method in which it is being obtained. Pokemmo is already incredibly rng-heavy and making it even more luck reliant seems unnecessary, especially with pokes which are as relevant competitively as legendary doggos.

E:

If shiny hunt is such a big deal for you guys, then the encounter-capped Suicune could be shiny-locked like starters.

Edited by RysPicz

5 hours ago, RysPicz said:

If shiny hunt is such a big deal for you guys, then the encounter-capped Suicune could be shiny-locked like starters.

This would be a disaster for shunters, no shunter wants to be guaranteed a none shiny especially after going over the odds to encounter the mon. 

1 hour ago, BrokenJoker said:

This would be a disaster for shunters, no shunter wants to be guaranteed a none shiny especially after going over the odds to encounter the mon. 

We seem to be standing on opposite sides, as you don't give a shit about competitive players and I couldn't care less about shiny hunters. I'm really trying to think about a potential suggestion which would not damage potential shiny hunters, while improving the situation for unlucky players who are just unlucky enough to not get what they are searching for, due to sheer luck.

I do like the idea of implementing another way of obtaining Suicune, especially if it would be something that'd be really time and effort consuming, but it would guarantee that we'd get it, because whatever it's rate is right now, it is pure luck and had nothing else involved.

i agree with your suggestion but i would really prefer another way to get legendaries by far, we are just afk hunting something that everyone wanted for years. That's not rewarding at all to just get lucky to get them. Shaymin system was way better and was at least "rewarding" for the people who want to get it. Same with rainbow quills lo this is just dumb we need to get lucky aswell to get them.

On 8/31/2023 at 3:05 PM, Mooskauer said:

Don't like the idea. It would be like "Give people a guaranteed shiny encounter after 10-15k bcs they are hunting it so hard" 

idk how you think this is in any way related to shinies, this effectively has value for competitive, while shinies are just different colored pixels that don't really change anything in the game. This mons are a necessity for comp players. Also the untradable suggestion etc, just showcases that you have very little experience to talk about it, you'll want multiple suicunes anyway for the multiple sets it has, and you'll also need maybe 1-2 more for doubles (or more), so no it also doens't really affect even those who just catch to sell. 

41 minutes ago, razimove said:

Also the untradable suggestion etc, just showcases that you have very little experience to talk about it, you'll want multiple suicunes anyway for the multiple sets it has, and you'll also need maybe 1-2 more for doubles (or more), so no it also doens't really affect even those who just catch to sell. 

Never said that, I guess you are mixing things up here a little. I am just against it when it comes to a guaranteed legendary when reaching X ecounters/hours/what ever. It's RNG, just deal with it. Doesn't matter if comp is a thing, for me it is not a thing and especially not a thing to discuss about when it comes to legendaries.

Greetings

1 hour ago, Mooskauer said:

Never said that, I guess you are mixing things up here a little. I am just against it when it comes to a guaranteed legendary when reaching X ecounters/hours/what ever. It's RNG, just deal with it. Doesn't matter if comp is a thing, for me it is not a thing and especially not a thing to discuss about when it comes to legendaries.

Greetings

I’m not sure why the roaming Legendaries couldn’t have been made shiny-locked from the get go. Whether they are shiny or not is predetermined at creation using some sort of character seeds if I’m not mistaken, making it an extremely unreliable way to shiny hunt them anyway. You’d have to create a character, complete johto then encounter w/e roaming legendary is currently out there and repeat. Shiny hunters stand to lose pretty much nothing because it’s ridiculously unlikely to happen. The competitive scene is however undeniably the biggest loser here. If you lock very viable legendaries behind a heavily rng-based approach then it is going to favor certain type of players over others ie: wealthier players, which in return would put them at a cutting-edge in the competitive scene.

That being said, I don’t think guaranteed encounters is the solution. It sounds like a poor game design choice. I think a more challenging approach would’ve been better rather than making the encounter rng-based, or at least have both options.

We’ll see how it goes as time passes perhaps this just a nothing burger and their prices will only decrease as more players over time find them. For now I feel it’s still advantageous to a handful of players given how recently they’ve been introduced 

Edited by LeZenor
3 hours ago, AwaXGoku said:

i agree with your suggestion but i would really prefer another way to get legendaries by far, we are just afk hunting something that everyone wanted for years. That's not rewarding at all to just get lucky to get them. Shaymin system was way better and was at least "rewarding" for the people who want to get it. Same with rainbow quills lo this is just dumb we need to get lucky aswell to get them.

Imagine devs promising a fun, interactive and fair way to get HA and Legendaries for fucking what 6 or 7 years now? And all we get a randomized Alphas and Legendaries you have to hard grind while watching Netflix because the task is so boring. 

Great design choices @Kyu @Desu

But Johto > dungeons because the army of new players that will quit after doing the 5 storylines bring more cash and are therefore more important than the dedicated player base that made this game survive for 10 years in the first place. 

We have been promised so much and got delivered nothing. 

Edited by CaptnBaklava

What I don't understand is that for the first 3-4 years of PokeMMO, creating alts was the most lucrative way to make money. Over the years, devs have done everything in their power to make alts as irrelevant as possible. However, now, they are doing a huge u-turn. 1 Legendary per account. 5 Ability Patches per account. For PVE, this is great game design, but for PVP this is completly absurd. Imagine asking a PvP player to complete the pokedex to get ability patches and complete the Johto region to have a chance (not even guaranteed) to unlock a legendary. Very very very bad game design for PVP, completly shameful. It's the equivalent of telling a PVE player that his chances to catch a shiny are 0% unless he wins a PVP tournament first. You can force PvP player to do a little bit of PVE, but this is not a little. The amount of PVE grind for a PVP player is outrageous.

Edited by gbwead

Why could they not have made it like some sort of raid battle like what exists on the newer gens, make it so that you get to capture one, and from there every raid battle you participate in, you get the IV mats, not only would it still be PvE and a guaranteed catch for everyone every season, but it would also allow pvp people to just get theirs and go on their life.

Edited by razimove

Big upvote. I don't think it necessarily needs a hard cap but something needs to change. I've been hunting Suicune and Raikou for over 40 hours and I haven't encoutered either of them.

I just want them for pvp and I don't mind grinding for them a little, but this is just outrageous. 

I've stopped hunting now. Will try again after this unfair broken system is fixed.

Are there people who really haven't managed to get any legendary encounter in a month playing consistently ? 

O this is the complaint of people who hasn't got his dog after a week, like lucky other?

I'm not sure pokemmo take count of how many time you meet a pokemon species; since people keep asking for a wild pokemon encounter for long

Instead of hard encounter cap, we can ask of an increased possibilities in the last 24 hours before a month end.

Like they say when you accidentally kill or miss the capture of the legendary dog.

I understand that it's close to what is done in the main series and that's probably why they chose it to be this way but it just doesn't seem to be a good adaptation for an MMO. There are other creative ways in PVE that could have been used to introduce them instead of random wild encounters. They've proven us they can be creative with their very own custom events for major holidays that entice both the pve and pvp playerbase. Here, I just feel like they missed the mark. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad we are finally getting legendaries in the game, it's been a long time coming. It's just that the delivery feels underwhelming. It's kind of unfortunate that for an MMO, other than the fact that it's massively online, it lacks a lot of cooperative features and purposes. We only get to partake in coop events 3 to 4 times per year during a short period of time, generally all by the end of the year and early part of the new year, while the rest of the year is lackluster. I was kind of hoping that the introduction of legendaries would fill that gap by allowing us to farm for them in a cooperative and challenging manner all year long with rotating legendary roster, and that we could use the link feature in a more meaningful way than just charms, pokemon contest and battle frontiers. I can only hope that random wild encounters will only be for the roaming legendaries and wish they will come up with something else for the remaining legendaries, especially since we've been told completely different things

Edited by LeZenor

The legendary dogs are not just a random encounter, that's the consequence of Ho-oh battle.

I think that was done very well.

The dog trio doesn't have much substance to have their own story in a subquest, I'm afraid.

What you you were suggesting, that I understand it's similar to the raids in recent pokemon game, it 'd fit better for collecting the raimbow quill.

IMHO that was underwhelming !

You make raids against the legendary with some friends in link and get rewards to improve your legendary caught before in solo mode.

Idk, maybe add some mechanics like raid battle (maybe the legendary beast raid) that can increase the odd of their appearance in the wild, of course if we managed to win that raid. The raid however reset every next rotary legendary beast (which mean every month) so that you need to raid battle again to get that increased odd back.

This idea might not the best since I don't know what's the exact odd of their appearance and what's the best odd that is acceptable and fair for everyone.

Edited by PSTLV